01

O N E

Clary knows her brother like the back of her hand. Spending nearly most of her life with him, it wasn't hard; Han was an open book to her. Looking at him now, leaning against the pilot chair of his beloved ship, the Millennium Falcon, Clary realizes just how much of an open book he is. She reads him right now—from the way his brow is creased and the way he seems to be glaring up at the stars, she knows something is troubling him. Perhaps anyone else could sense it, but Clary felt a sharp pain of guilt: even though her brother will run his mouth almost all the time, exasperating half of the people he's met and will meet, Clary still loves him with all her heart. He's the only family she's got, after all.

"Good morning, brother," Clary says, making her way further into the cockpit. Han glances back at her as she approaches then turns back to the stars.

"How do you know it's morning? We're in space."

Clary shrugs, taking the seat of the co-pilot—Chewbacca is somewhere sleeping farther in the Falcon, providing Clary with a spot next to her brother. She examines her brother's posture and attempts to mimic it, kicking her feet up to rest against the control panel. At her sudden movement, Han sits upright and pushes her feet off.

"Hey, watch it!" he scolds. "One wrong move and we'd be plummeting into hyperspace."

"Better than flying around in the middle of nowhere," Clary retorts. Han meets her gaze before letting out a sigh, leaning back in his chair.

"We're not in the middle of nowhere," Han snaps back. He leans forward, flicking a button on the control panel as he adds, "We're almost at Tatooine. Go wake Chewie and get your stuff."

Clary wrinkles her nose as she hops up to her feet, heading to the door. "Tatooine? Seriously? That planet is so dreary it gives me depression just by looking at it."

Han glances back at her. "Don't judge a planet by how it looks, Clary. What's inside is what counts."

Clary snorts, shaking her head as she retreats out of the cockpit. She spots Chewbacca lounging nearby and heads over to him, shaking him gently. Normally, she would have been scared to wake the giant warrior; Wookies were known for their temper and sharp claws and teeth. But Chewie was one of Clary's closest friends and knew for certain that the Wookiee wouldn't dare hurt her. Chewbacca turned in his sleep, roaring softly. Stepping back before the Wookiee had a chance to growl at her, Clary says in a gentle voice,

"Han wants you, fellow co-pilot." The Wookiee grumbles but blinks his eyes open, sitting upright. Meeting Clary's gaze, he roars something tiredly. Clary smiles.

"I know, but my dearest brother insists. He says we're almost at planet Tatooine," she adds. Chewbacca emits a noise that sounds like a sigh as he rises to his feet, starting towards the cockpit. Clary smiles after the Wookie warrior before following after him. She leans against the door of the cockpit, watching as Chewbacca takes his place at the co-pilot's seat as he began to click buttons.

As she watches the two land the Falcon, Clary clears her throat. Concentrated, Han lets out a sigh before glancing back at her. "What is it this time, Clary?"

"Just wondering when you'll let me land this thing," she says. Han scoffs, but before he can snap a retort Clary continues, "I know how to fly a ship, Han. You taught me when I was barely six years old—"

"Yeah, that was a mistake," Han mutters. Clary crosses her arms over her chest, narrowing her eyes.

"I want to fly."

"Yeah, well we're landing right now," Han smirks, turning back to fully look at his little sister. "How are you going to fly a ship that's landing?"