05

F I V E

Watching the computer readout the statements of the TIE fighter's presence, Clary glances over at Chewbacca as they flip numerous switches, attempting to manipulate the ship's controls.

"We've lost lateral controls," Clary reports into the microphone.

"Don't worry," Han replies, "she'll hold together."

Clary tries to refrain from commenting on Han's contradicting statement as an enemy laser bolt hits the starship's control panel, causing it to blow out in sparks. Clary jumps back in alarm, eyes wide as Chewbacca lets out a timid growl.

"You hear me, baby?" Clary can hear Han mutter from the headset. "Hold together!"

The moment Clary glances up she sees a TIE fighter ship fly over. Her heart races from the tension she can feel in the small cockpit but it's quickly dissipated as the fighter soars overhead the ship—after a loud explosion, a grin tugs on the ends of Clary's cheeks as she glances towards Chewbacca seated beside her. He makes a comment, acknowledging her glee before glancing out once more. Leia shifts from behind Clary, completely engrossed with the TIE fighters.

"There are still two more of them out there!" she exclaims, attempting to get heard into Clary's microphone. Following Leia's gaze through the ports, Clary spots a TIE fighter moving up towards the starship, firing lasers at accelerating speed. The Falcon gives a shudder but the fighters dive down, managing to avoid the blasts being aimed from Han and Luke. Watching the scene with glittering eyes, Clary attempts to keep her nerves down as Chewbacca continues to manipulate the controls from beside her.

The starship gives a sudden jump as one of the fighters is destroyed in a spectacular explosion; the last TIE fighter continues firing, causing the Falcon to bounce warily. Clary flicks a switch on the panel in front of her, steadying the old starship. She hears the echo of the fighter exploding before she sees the actual blast and the smile stretched across her face widens as Leia jumps up from behind her, leaning forward as she hugs both Clary and Chewbacca.

"We did it!" she exclaims in a voice that makes it harder for Clary to despise her. She smiles, nodding slowly as Leia lets go. Clary sinks back in her chair, staring blankly ahead. Something about the fight was too easy; Clary feels her nerves disappear slowly as she hears C-3P0 call from farther in the ship:

"Help! I think I'm melting!" Before Clary even has the chance to laugh at the bronze droid he adds angrily, "This is all your fault, R2!"

Clary hears R2 beep in response before she turns her head, a faint smile now completely fading as she flips one of the buttons, allowing the ship to continue forward without hesitation. It feels almost peaceful—a little too peaceful for Clary's likings, but she doesn't bother to think further about it. They were safe. And that is all that matters.