FLASHBACK - TWO

Umber

January 23, 2007. The day I was born. Wysteria was in chaos back then, and I was called Neals at that time. My older sister, Jasminy, was the sole breadwinner of our family.

She went to Vaentra, a populous city, for a chance at work, and didn't return ever since. Why? I don't know.

In that crisis I was eight years old, diagnosed with pneumonia. During that time, I was also the breadwinner.

Then my younger brother was born. His name was Gram. He was the best thing to ever happen to our family. For a few years, we were very happy.

Then, a mysterious assailant attacked our home. I saw a shadow, holding a knife, glinting in the night. He saw himself pounce on my father, and he managed to fend the thief off. But there it was - the strike. I heard it plunge deep into skin, with blood and sweat splashing around. It hit the stomach of my mother. As I watched mother fall down and, I heard her frail voice, saying:

"Don't worry. Sometime we will meet up high. I love you very, very much. Now, as we have been spotted, we have to change our names. Why are we the ones that have been struck by this fate? I also don't know. 

With bitterness and regret in her eyes, she tousled my hair and continued to speak. 

"From the Uborgh family we will become new persons. We shall be the Quasar family. Bye, my children and husband."

And she went still. I cried. I held her hand for an indefinitely long time, not hearing my father's voice. The assailant lay there, with a knife jutting out from his chest. 

I vowed that from then on I shall avenge and honor the Quasar family.

Rumble. 

A mysterious fog seeped from the assailant's orifices. It spread out to fill the room, and it looked for a place to escape.It noticed an open window exposed to the night sky. The fog cleared, and only my father and I were left. 

Sixteen years later,

Now I am Umber Quasar, son of Chartreuse Quasar. Standing in front of the people makes my heart content yet lusting for blood. I don't know why I am so naive. Even if people think I am violent, I only became a fighter for money. I don't own any slaves, and I slave myself to feed my family.

My whole existence littles down to the fact that my mother died... died not in vain, but in glory, and that I am glorified and known. I am respected, sure, but I don't want to be feared. It can't be both.

------

Jasminy
Present age

This is the Stadium of Eden? Seriously? This is some serious childplay. I shall dominate this peasant's game.
Hmm.. But where to start?

She was busy in thought when a thief latched to her bag.
The thief got her bag and ran away.

She scoffed and hurried on to chase him.

Oh it's on.

She trailed the guy, running. In Vaentra, she was known for her speed, and also her proficiency with the sword. She was known as the Liege of the Luminous Sword.
She ran and found the guy in a crook, heavy breathing being heard from there. She took something from her pocket that seemed to glow with a deep blue color and reverberated with dense, palpable energy.

Doom Sword. Open to me!

All hell seemed to break loose. The alley was lit by a midnight blue flame.

"Any last words, thief?"

He shook and dropped the bag. He tried to run away but the sword seemed to be omnipotent, striking fires with regalia.
With a grin, Jasminy struck.

Clang. 

The sword buried itself in the ground. The thief disappeared. Her bag was still there, unscathed.

She scurried on to the sling bag. And she checked for any damage.

Once she made sure that there were no damages or scuffs on the leather bag, she sheathed her sword and went back.

"Now, off to Eden. I wonder who I shall beat today."

Umber

So what was Wysteria like?

I eat in my seat, in front of Kaliya. I am here, remembering what he said to me. Kaliya was what you can say a long distance acquaintance. He lived far from me. I only get to see him every time we go to Staria.

Like me, he is also well-versed in the art of archery. Except I use a longbow and he uses a crossbow.
He is known as the Sharpshooter of Storms because of his skill, and because there seems to be a sandstorm or mud spraying wherever he shoots.
I told him about his question:
"Kaliya, Wysteria is... hectic. A hectic life, and I was basically a wreck. But one thing's for sure. We were poor. Our only source of income was Jasminy. But as you know, she went missing.

Kaliya looked on to Umber with sympathy.

"Anyway, I'm getting distracted. We were the desert in between the 2 superpowers. A state rife with wars and poverty. The wars the Superpowers waged were for supremacy. The arrogance of the leaders showing more and more each passing day.

But as time passed, we evolved to become a better state. We modernized ourselves, became more civilized, and eventually went up the top, until now.

We are called the Epitome of Scars. Wounds that healed, turning like a scar above where things can grow.

Wysteria still remains in my heart. Until now. Since the Stadium of Eden is located here, my family now has a shot at money. 

Every quarter of the year, the Stadium of Eden hosts a massive fight. The fight which sparked the revolution of fighters. I am one who is written in the annals of Eden. I won the bread. I brought home the bacon.

A deep silence ensued.

"So Kaliyat, do you plan on moving?"

I gave him a moment to ponder.

"Hmm... I'll have to think about it. Man, your history is so skewed! Anyways, I have to go. Mind if I join you later for dinner?"

Kaliya excitedly said what was exactly Umber's plan.

"Of course. I'll pay later." 

Umber waved to Kaliya, and he went on to the Stadium.

Gram
12 years old

Until now, I only thought about father. Only now did I think about myself. I thought about what I want for my birthday. It's either the small kiln that I always wanted, or archery lessons from Umber. What do I get today?

Back at the Quasar's residence, Gram, who just turned 12 today, was cooking for his father. He didn't know that Umber will give him the surprise of his life.

Silk woven from the breath of the dead
The sword crafted from blood
My voice unheard amongst the crowd
A veil seemingly draped on me.

Hearing the screams of the wounded
Sounds never leaving my mind
Clouding my mind and removing my judgement
Grey clouds rolling from the sky.

In the end is light
As I emerge from the labyrinth
Victory and honor in hand
Rose petals falling from the hands of the affluent.