Engagement

When DD had dropped Avni home, Neela immediately sensed something was wrong. Seeing Avni's weary look, she rushed to her side.

"My heart has been racing all day. Kya hua meri bacchi ko?"

" Asthma attack, but I am ok. I just have a slight headache. Can I go rest for sometime Ma?"

"Chalo tum betho ek minute. DD, I will ask Sarla to bring you something to drink. Accha hua DD ne tuhme ghar chop diya. Neil ko pata hai?"

"Haan sir Bhabhi ko yahaan milene aare hai aaj shaam ko," DD stated assuringly.

He thanked Sarla when she brought him his tea.

After Neela tucked Avni in her bed, she corned DD.

"Ab batao kya hua tha."

DD quickly explained everything.

"Auntie aap sir ko galat mat samjana," DD pleaded with Neela.

"I trust Neil but I worry for Avni. She has been my world for so long, I couldn't bear it if something happened to her. I will speak to Neil about my concerns. Thank-you for bearing with my stubborn daughter," Neela said before he left.

DD nodded and messaged Neil on his way to the jeep.

Neil was interrogating Balu at the station.

He didn't take him long to admit all his boss wanted was Neil's weakness and he wanted her in his favorite city which was Prague, but his boss's favorite city changed like his moods.

"Lekin sir how was he planning to get Aanya out of the country? If we find this out we can stop his boss from moving in and out of the country as easily as he has been. Every time we get close to him, he disappears on us," DD stated sounding defeated.

Neil pondered for awhile.

"If he thinks he has found my weakness, then we have to make him think we can find his. There has to be someone he is connected to. Why else would he risk kidnapping so close to the police station?"

"Sir the day we find him, how will you handle it?"

"Based on what he tried today, uski toh khair nahin!"

Neil clenched his fists tightly against his desk. He could have lost Avni today.

Later that day as promised he approached Neela Ma's house.

Neela herself greeted him at the door.

"Hello Neil, kaise ho?"

"Main theek hoon, ab Avni kaisi hai"

"Ek baat karni thi tujhse."

"Neela Ma please trust me. I never would intentionally .."

"Pata hai tu mera accha bacha hai. Lekin woh meri acchi bacchi nahin hai. Kal engagement hai tum dono ki aur yeh apna kam leker bait gayi,"Neela complained.

" She should be resting!"

"Only you can make her listen. I give up this time!," Neela declared.

Hearing footsteps, Avni tried to finish the last line of her article. She looked up to see Neil instead of Neela standing there.

"Neil main baas.."

"Be quiet Avni!"

"Click save and lay down now!," he demanded.

"Relax, just finishing the last bit," she muttered.

She did as promised and he sat down bedsides her. He looked her over and then hugged her and caressed her hair.

"Aaj meri wajha se tumari ko jaan ko khatra hogya tha," he lamented.

When he pulled back, she caressed his cheeks.

"Tumari wajha se toh main abhi theek hoon," she assured him.

She joked around with him for a bit.

"Tu tum abhi mujhse shaadi karna chahti ho?"

"Yes ACP Neil Khanna. I will be honored to be the wife of such a honorable officer."

Neil leaned in and kissed her forehead. He was so lucky she would be his wife in a matter of months.

Avni offered him to make him her favorite hot chocolate. Aman, Riya and Neela would join in as they watched them in the kitchen. They teased the lovebirds.

Ali came as well to see how Avni was. Neela and Avni noted how well Ali and Riya gelled. But they knew even if these two ever fell in love, they would have to deal with the big hurdle of Dayawanti Mehta.

The next day the engagement was held at the Khanna's mansion.

Avni blushed as Neil kissed her hand and bent on one knee to propose her in front of everyone and placed the ring on her finger. The crowd was also surprised when Avni bent on her knees in front of Neil.

"Kya tum isse ziddy, kabhie jhali ladki ko accept karsakte ho saari zindagi ke liye?"

Neil turned emotional seeing her do this grand gesture. He offered her his hand and she slipped the ring on his finger.

He helped her back to her feet. They danced on teri ore from Singh is King. Neither had felt in so much in bliss.

Dayawanti Mehta was happy. Finally Avni was on her way to bring her more wealth.