Mumbai a year later..

Part 11

ACP Neil Khanna sat at his desk reviewing some files. He glanced at Aman and Riya with a few others in a jail cell.

"Jiju please let us out! We will make Avni Di our one phone call," Aman pleaded.

Neil glanced at them annoyed. He was upset with Avni. She hadn't agreed to meet him before their roka next week. A few hours ago his junior officer had raided a building that had been known for a drug trading business. Now his to be saala and saali had gotten mixed up in the wrong crowd.

" I will let you guys off with a warning if your drug testing is normal. But Avni has to be the one to bail you out. Also if she puts herself in a dangerous situation, you two are to stop her," Neil declared.

"Agar woh pair bhi nahin mani toh?," Riya asked.

Neil made a phone sign.

"Toh mujhe durant phone karna," he declared.

"Agar aap ka phone na mila?"

Neil rolled his eyes.

" Phir DD ko phone kar dena," he snapped.

He let them out for their drug testing and to call Avni.

It had been a year since their first meeting. They frustrated each other and argued constantly but always knew how to make up. Avni constantly admitted she wasn't good at making up with him. Neil always accepted her attempts whole heartedly.

When Aman and Riya suggested a party, Avni declined.

"Di your last real party before you are finally promised to someone. You should enjoy this time!," Riya declared.

Avni shook her head,

" I have an article to finish. Otherwise I would have to go meet Neil. I feel bad I haven't given him anytime with all these deadlines I have right now. It is a new position, I can't just go party unless it will help with my story,"she ranted.

In the end Aman and Riya left without her.

Now they called her only to disturb her and Ali's stakeout of another local drug dealing racket.

"Ali phone band kar aapna!," she snapped.

"Yaar mera nahin, tera hai abhi," he hissed back.

She groaned.

She glanced at the number. It seemed like a landline.

"Kaun hai?"

"Kya? Kounse wale mein? Tum dono ek raid mein arrest hoge? Theek hai main abhi aari hoon."

"Kya hua Avni?"

" I have to go. Riya and Aman got arrested in some raid. I have to go bail them out. The inspector on tonight insisted I come," she stated.

Ali came along with her.

They reached the station and asked for the inspector.

"Can you please allow me to talk to your superior officer? This is nonsense. They had no idea the drugs would be there," Avni declared.

"Ms.Avni, I am the officer in charge. How may I help you," Neil declared.

Her eyes widened.

"Tum unko andar kaise renhe dhere ho?"

"Tumari galti ki wajah se," Neil hissed.

Avni turned red like a tomato.

She told Ali to go home if he wished.

This would take time to pacify her to be husband.

"Neil I know you are angry for me taking up all this work. But this job is new and I need to prove myself," she insisted.

"Avni but the facts are evident that they were present on the premises with illegal drugs in the building. They will have to get drug testing done," he stated.

His peon arrived with the test results.

"Riya is negative. Aman has a trace amount," Neil muttered.

"See why I take interest in these stories? I want to save Aman from this epidemic and others," Avni declared.

"Yes but what to do now with your brother?"

"He will stay the night. We can send him to rehab if he can't stop using," Avni declared.

"All right Riya can go home with you. Tomorrow you can come get Aman. We will keep this on the low down. After the roka ceremony next week, we can discuss Aman in detail.

"Theek hai. Also Neil check your personal phone. I did message you back this time," she stated.

He pulled out his other cell, and glanced at it surprised.

"This is from twenty minutes ago," he mumbled.

"Exactly when I was talking to your subordinate," she said with glee.

He shook head in wonderment. Life was never boring with this ajooba, and he knew every day with her would be an adventure.

Avni was disappointed with Aman, but he assured her that he felt terrible for embarrassing her in front of Neil.

"Dadi will get really upset. So we shall try to get you better soon. I don't want to lose Aman. We lost our parents years ago. I can't bear to lose you as well. Chalo Riya," Avni said before leaving.

"Avni, let me send a car for you and Riya. I don't want anything else to happen tonight," Neil insisted.

"Main abhi hoon yahaan. Don't worry Neil, I will take good care of them both," Ali promised.

"Ok cool, bro. Just one of you sms me when you get home. Aman can get bail tomorrow," he stated.

"Thanks Neil. Kal milte hain," Avni stated.

The following week, Aman's drug problem was revealed in front of both families after the roka ceremony.

Shweta was concerned. Bebe was amazed at how her grandson supported Avni and her family in the trying times.

Dayawanti was relieved at Bebe's positive outlook. Neil put an assuring hand on Avni's. She let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding.

Later that night, Neela came to spend time with Avni.

"Baccha mujhe kuch baat karni hai tumse."

"Bolo Ma," Avni said unsure of what topic she would bring up.

" I admire Neil and you for standing up together for Aman."

"Ma I am sorry I should have told you the day it all happened."

"Koi baat nahin Avni. Aman has always been spoiled by his Dadi,this was bound to happen. When a child is given everything he or she desires, they tend to act out. He will reform himself and carry on your dadi's legacy when the time is right."

" I am so lucky Neil was there the night the raid happened. Our family's reputation.."

"He saved your family's honor when he was not officially anything to us. He is the best life partner you could have gotten Avni . Don't ever take him for granted baccha. I feel he was sent by God due to my and your parents prayers for your happiness. Please don't ever take him for granted baccha," Neela advised.

Avni nodded.

"Neil bauth aache hain. You are right I should give him more time," Avni stated.