Chapter 35: What If

New villian Alert!

xx

SSC

“So the results are back.” Reed announced from beside Susan while flipping through papers on his clip board. Elise sat on the patient’s bed, swinging her legs back and forth anxiously.

“What’s the problem, Reed?” She asked, steeling herself not to be distraught by the consequences.

“You’ve passed all your tests, if anything you are in perfect health Eli.” She stilled a calm hand on to Elise’s clenched fist. The blonde’s smile instantly calmed Elise, though her uneasiness remained.

“But... There is a ‘but’ right?”

“From the BMD tests we discovered that you have a high bone density. At first I figured it was because of all weight training related to your boxing but I think that might not be the case.” Richards stated, his gaze skimming over the text.

“What is it?” Eli asked, he lowered the clip board and regarded her firmly.

“I found it odd that out of all of us you were the only one who had no physical mutation. But now I think your skeleton is part of your mutation.”

“High bone density, is that bad?”

“It’s good actually, your bones are stronger than all of us but in the process it is also lighter. I think it’s so you can adapt better to your air related abilities.” Susan explained, Elise sighed in relief.

“So the mutation caused the black out?” She asked unsurely.

“I think so.” Reed nodded in unison to his wife “Ben suffered severe chest and stomach pains before he turned so it could be the same thing.”

“Have you had any recent headaches?” Sue pried in concernedly. Elise shook her head in response.

“Not really, no.”

“Good, but just in case.” Reed pulled out a bottle of aspirin from his lab coat and gestured it for her to take “Here, if you get any more headaches just take these, it should null the pain.”

Hesitantly she reached out and wordlessly took the bottle and peered down at it.

Temporary relieves minor head aches and pains. She fortified her urge to glower down at the label.

“So I can go home now?” She asked peering up at them.

“I don’t see why not.”

Elise smiled gratefully, eager to change out of her paper dress and see her uncle, Alicia and Johnny.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Johnny offered to drive her and Charcoal home. Elise figured he would have a lot to say, considering he was usually the talkative one. This was why she was extremely irked by his silence throughout the ride back to her flat.

 They stood idly in the elevator with Charcoal between them. Elise was tempted to question his silence, but she wasn’t the type to pry either. She knew she had to treat him just as she would her friends, wait till they were ready to speak to her. Why was she having so much trouble keeping to her rules around him?

“So what did Reed say?” Johnny suddenly asked, grabbing her attention. She glanced at him; his passive expression was focused on the steel doors.

“Well I am perfectly healthy, it was just my mutation had delayed again unlike you guys and he thinks the headaches was a symptom from all the change.” She was suddenly aware of the pill bottle within her jacket pocket. She could hear it rattling about within the pouch.