Chapter 28: Reckless

Johnny was not happy about waking up alone. It made the whole thing feel like a dream—surreal.

He sighed, I really hope not. The pillows still smelt like apricots.

Forcing himself on to his feet, he selected a towel from a shelf and wrapped it around his hard torso. He was in dire need of a shower, a cold one.

Johnny emerged from male shower rooms while tucking the towel into a tight knot around him. He was heading back to his room when a female voice called his name.

Part of him immediately jumped to the conclusion of Elise being the caller. He turned to find it was the beautiful blonde woman with great skin. She was wearing her camouflage suit with her fair hair held back in a tight pony tail.

“We are heading to intercept the Surfer in ten minutes, with or without you.”

He found it unnerving that she could make eye contact with him in his almost undressed state. It was bad enough Elise could do it. He suddenly felt out of his reach and his reflexive playboy ways came into play.

“Were you waiting outside the bathroom to try and catch me in a towel?” He teased, allowing his body to get just a touch hotter. Steam radiated off his board well built form, paired with his sexy grin he hoped it would make the woman show some reaction.

She did not look amused. Giving him one last reproachful look, she turned to walk away.

This shocked him, he was only kidding.

Gripping at the knot of his towel, Johnny chased after her and rounded around to face her.

“That was a joke. I was joking.” He said firmly with a sociable air “Why are you so down on me? You don’t even know me.”

“I know you very well.” Doubtful he thought automatically “I read your personality profile.”

His dark brows lifted in acknowledgement. He would have liked to see this ‘personality profile’ the army had compiled for him. He braced his hands on his hips as she continued to speak.

“Confident. Reckless. Irresponsible. Self-obsessed, bordering on narcissism.” She listed resentfully.

He mulled on her words for a moment before a grin wormed its way on to his lips. Well she wasn’t wrong “Okay, so you do know me.”

A little.

“All I’ve seen is a guy that almost got his team killed.”

He stilled at her statement. Remembering his argument with Elise. Eli was obviously a lot crueler but hearing her words in different context still irked him.

“Okay.” He nodded earnestly “I’ve been a little off my game lately.”

The blonde shook her head, disapprovingly. Her blue gaze was wide and critical.

“This is not a game.” She walked away, leaving Johnny to his thoughts.

Do people see me as such a thoughtless mess? Does Elise..?

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Johnny sat in the crowded helicopter, pressed against the window. He was seated directly in front of Elise but she hadn’t acknowledged him once.

She was too damn entranced by the landscape of Germany. Its high mountains, tall trees and misty white fog.

He stared intensely at her, he wasn’t even blinking.