Chapter 17: Move on

They arrived at the Baxter building. Johnny, Elise and Charcoal passed by Jimmy at the reception when they made their way into Fantastic elevator. Elise always felt the need to greet Jimmy out of sympathy; his back was still has a disability from the Von Doom fiasco a year ago.

Johnny pressed on the button to call the elevator. The golden doors opened at command and he insisted she enter before him, Charcoal strutted majestically after her. Elise pushed the button that led to their headquarters, the doors closed again, leaving them alone in the enclosed space.  

“Wanna test out the new Fantastic Five game?” Johnny asked, while leaning comfortably against the wall behind him.

“They made a game?” She uttered in fascination.

“Releasing summer two-thousand and eight.” He announced with a smug nod of his head.

“Ugh, why did you have to tell me this now? I promised Sue I will help her with wedding stuff.” Elise grumbled with a miserable head of her head.

“Wow, how interesting.” He murmured amused by her response, she shot him a flat look.

“You can’t tell but I am oozing with excitement.” Johnny laughed at her sarcastic tone.

“But your sister needs all the help she can get, besides who better to scare away reporters than the girl who was given court order anger management classes right?” She added with a confident lift of her dark brows and a sly smirk at her lips.

His eyes gleamed at her words “You have a point, makes me wonder if you ever bring that fire to bed.”

“You will never know”

The blue eyes darkened with want, his legs moved on their own at an attempt to corner her in the elevator.

“Is that a challenge?” He asked with a hoarse whisper to his voice. As always Elise stared back defiantly, he always found that trait about her such a turn on.

Then elevator abruptly chimed which coaxed a merry bark from the dog that sat idly between them. The doors opened and they still continued to stare at each other, challengingly.

“Liz you are on time, thank goodness.” Susan’s voiced forced Eli to break the eye contact first. Realizing her mistake she scowled and Johnny grinned victoriously.

“Anything to get away from Matchstick-man.” She grumbled, striding out of the elevator with Charcoal at her heels.

“Hey!” Johnny exclaimed bruised by her statement. They stood at the Fantastic Five lobby. Berta—Reed’s AI/secretary—was hovering behind her desk, flickering now and then.

Elise took in the sight of Susan; she was wearing a dark brown turtle neck dress hugged her body and was just cut above her knees. She had a clip-board pressed to her chest and Elise could only imagine the list of tasks Susan had ready for them.

Yay She thought drolly, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

Charcoal busy being fascinated by Berta behind the desk. The Great Dane had his paws up on the reception table and staring at the AI with a confused tilt of his head. Elise didn’t understand the animal’s fascination with the AI.

“Eli!” A familiar gruff voice exclaimed followed by loud stomping footsteps. Elise looked to the foyer to find Ben Grimm walking in their direction, she grinned on reflex.

“Uncle Ben hey”

“And Charcoal, here boy.” The Great Dane pushed off the desk with renewed enthusiasm before running in her uncle’s direction and then pouncing on him.