What The Hell?

After a week of torture and pain but also excitement, I get my first day off all week. They transferred me off Calden's case, meaning I can have a 'thing' with him. I smile and enjoy waking up anytime after 4.  I see that It's 8 and walk downstairs. I hear baby Zola wailing and I sigh, missing dad. 

"I'm going to the hospital!" I yell up to my mother.

She runs downstairs.

"Why would you want to spend your one day off there?"

"Why does it feel like my entire family is in oblivion? Again!"

"Too soon,"

"You're telling me?" I hissed. Dialing the cab number.

"I need your help today," 

"I want to go see dad, and my almost sort of boyfriend,"

"Guys are trouble,"

"I'm 14 and have no friends! I don't care,"

"I love you," She rushes, kissing my forehead and going back upstairs. I sigh and put my bag over my shoulder and go wait outside. I miss dad, but that trailer is too small for me to stay overnight or even to stay over for dinner. I get into the taxi and get lost in thought as it pulls out of our neighborhood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Amity, why are you here?" Calden says, with both joy and curiosity.

"My house is a landmine and I was not in a mood to wait for my mom and Christina,"

"I'm sorry, Em,"

"It is what it is," I shrug. "Where's your dad?"

"Cafeteria," 

"I see, how's your incision?"

"Amity," He whines. "No doctor stuff,"

"I'm asking as a concerned friend," He snickers.

"What?" I say in a jokingly defensive tone.

"You're totally into me," My eyes widen and my cheeks flush. "Friend is an extreme understatment."

"If you don't feel the same way it's not,"

Like I said. Understatement." It takes a second for it to dawn on me as to what he means.

"Oh," I express plainly prior to realization then "OH," I say with a huge wave of shock.

"You're cute when you don't get things,"

"And you're a flirt!" I say trying to sound as if he wasn't getting to me and melting my heart of happiness. I totally failed, which is something I'm not used to. Eventually his dad comes back and he stops flirting and we go back to normal conversations, thank god. Suddenly I'm paged down by dad. After promising my return and moping to the attendings lounge I reach dad.

"Hey dad,"

"Hey Em, I need to talk to you,"

"Are you finally coming back home?!" I say, letting the excitement take over. Big mistake.

"No sweetie," my heart sinks. "It's actually about Zola,"

"What's wrong with Zola? She was fine this morning. I-"

"It's not a big deal. Her social worker is just a little concerned, but I'm gonna fix it. I just wanted to let you know so if you heard something or if Janet wanted to talk to you you wouldn't be worried."

"What if Janet does want to talk to me?" Dad's pager suddenly goes off.

"Stall," he says quickly before running out of the room. I sigh in fear and frustration.

I return to Calden's room, he was resisting the urge to fall back asleep. He had been super tired lately, it's probably because the hospital beds are about as comfortable as bricks. 

"Hey, I'm back," 

"I swear that this whole room just got brighter, it must be that smile," I laugh at his flirting and the noticeable sleepiness in his voice. 

"Try again, the sun just came out from behind the clouds,"

"Can't be a coincidence," I laugh again and sit next to him on the hospital bed. I notice a dark bruise on his arm.

"Ouch, how'd you get that?"

"I hit my arm on the table, it's nothing. Really." 

"Whatever you say. Where did your dad go?"

"He got called down to work, an important client is backing out of a deal or something. He'll be gone for hours," He says with a hint of sadness. "But that means I can flirt with you to my hearts content," He goes back to his usual cheery self. 

"You're such a dork," 

"I'm an incredibly handsome dork,"

"Haven't you heard of humbleness?" He doesn't respond, he just looks at me. "Calden?"

"I could kiss you right now?"

"That would be such a dorky move to pu-" He kisses me. I kiss back. We pull away. My breath catches in my throat. 

"Then I guess I'm a dork," He replies to me in a voice just barely above a whisper, not wanting to break the feeling that surrounds us. It's like if either of us were to use our normal voice it would be a sin. Like, the biggest sin that mankind has ever known. I give a breathy laugh. But like the meteor that killed the dinosaurs, my phone rings out. 

     I curse mentally at whoever is texting me. Mom. 

"I'll be back, ok?" He nods as a little droplet of blood falls from his nose. "Your nose is bleeding, that's like the tenth time today. I'm having a nurse check you out,"

"Whatever," He replies, stealing what's usually my line. 

        I tell a nurse and head down to the tunnels, she's holding Zola. By the look on her face I can tell that something is wrong. Very, very wrong.

"Mom, what the hell?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey y'all I finally published. I'm the worst, I know. I've just been going through a lot and have been insanely busy. I would like to say it's about to ease up but that would be a lie. I have cheer tryouts soon and finals in May along with a crap ton of homework but I'll try and get better about publishing and I have a few ideas in mind for the next plot for this story so it should be easier to post. Anyways, let me know what you think in the comments and have an amazing day!