I've Never Believed In Family, But I Believe In This

"Derek, she's our girl. She's meant to be ours!" Amity heard from outside her door.

It was late. She had been in the hospital for a week and found herself to be bonding with the Shepherds. She had met most everyone through her walks through the halls. People had found her to be like family, they heard the way Meredith and Derek talked about her, it was how you would hear parents talk about their kids.

"So, we're gonna adopt her,"

"Ya. Wait... we should foster her first, make sure she loves us. What if she doesn't like us? What if she's just polite and secretly hates us? Wha-"

"We'll ask her first, then call Caren-"

"Cady," Meredith corrected.

"Ya." Derek finalized.

Amity's POV

I climbed out of my bed and ran out of my room (With my crutches of course) to them.

"Yes! You can adopt me!" I said hugging them.

"There's nothing I'd want more!!!" I said with excitement.

"Really?" Derek said.

"Ya," I said in tears. We all hugged in the middle of the hall, a sappy, crying family.

MORNING

I woke up to Meredith stroking my cheek.

"How are you feeling, honey,"

"I'm feeling great. I can't believe I'm gonna have a family," I said looking over at her.

"This is really happening, right?"

"It's gonna happen, don't worry Em," That's my nickname, it sounds like Am, but less effort.

"Mer, don't you have rounds?"

"Ya, I'll check on you later. Lexie should be here soon," She walked out. I smiled happily.

-----------1 Month later------

Derek and Meredith walked in to get me after their final shift.

"Ready, Amity?" Derek asked.

"Ya, I'm ready to go home," I walked over to them in the outfit Meredith let me choose on Amazon.

      I'm smiling brighter than I have in a really long time. Mer stuck out her hand,

"Ready?"

"Ready." Derek smiled. When we turned out of the room I saw the hallway lined with nurses and doctors who had grown to think of me as family like they had Mer and Der. They were smiling and waving at me. I was glad to be out of there, but I'm gonna miss the people here.

When we get home I can't stop smiling.

"Wanna see your room," Derek asks.

"Definitely," I say looking around some more. My room is absolutely amazing.

 My room is absolutely amazing

"Wow," I whisper.

"Do you like it?" Meredith asks.

"I love it, thank you."

"Well, get settled in. We have some friends from work coming over to get to know you tonight,"

"Wait," They turned around.

"Yes Amity," Meredith asked smiling.

"Can I call you guys mom and dad?" They smiled brightly and looked at each other. It looks like they could cry.

"Of course, sweetie." Mom said.

"That it?," Dad asked.

"For now, yeah dad," I smiled and they walked out.

NO POV

"Derek, are you crying?"

"No, ok maybe. She called me dad. A girl who stopped believing in family believes in us. We have a kid, Mer."

Amity's POV- Dinner.-

There's a knock at the door. I get up from watching T.V.

"I'll get it!"

"Thank you sweetie," Mom said. It wasn't fancy so I was wearing the same clothes from earlier.

I open the door to see Alex, Izzy and Christina.

"Mom! It's Alex, Izzy and Christina!" I yell. They look at each other. Mom walks in to greet them, or for the salad, with Alex it could honestly be either, just kidding!...maybe.

"Mom?" Alex says to her.

"Shutup!" In true mom fashion. After they all went into the dining room and got everything together the doorbell rang again. Guests arrived within the next 15 minutes.

We sit down for dinner, I have some apple juice while the adults enjoy a glass of wine.

"To family!" Dad says.

"Cheers!" everyone responds. I eat the best meal I've had since forever. They talk about work and personal lives.

"So, when's the adoption supposed to go through?" Mark asks.

"Um, we're not sure. Hopefully soon. Cady is doing her best to get it to go through within the next month, December should be the very latest unless something goes wrong," Dad says.

"Mom, dad? When it's official, can we change my last name to Grey-Shepherd?" People were shocked about me calling them mom and dad, let alone changing my last name to shepherd.

"Amity, we'll do whatever it takes for you to feel more secure in our family. We love you with all our hearts, of course we can change your last name to Shepherd," Dad said. I think him and mom were crying. I was too. Everyone started laughing a little. I stand up,

"I'd like to say something. I've never had a real home before today. Even before my bio mom passed, I never felt like I ever belonged anywhere. Despite my life being put in jeopardy, the day I was admitted to Seattle Grace will forever be the best day of my life. I have the best mom and dad a girl could ask for. This room is filled with the people that mean the most to me and I know care about me just as much as I do them. I've never believed in family, but I believe in this. And it doesn't scare me anymore. I could be alone in the middle of the Sahara desert and I still wouldn't be alone. Thank you for saving my life, literally and figuratively. To saving lives!"

"Cheers!"