He Doesn't Want Me

My messy bun and simple strands seemed to tie my outfit together. I dragged my feet and overnight bag down the stairs. I tried to hold the tears back, it seemed nearly impossible. Mom looked at me, as did Dad. His eyes were red, he must have been crying. 

"Dad, I don't want to go. He's not even family to me! I don't know him, I've never known him! That man and woman that used to be a fraction of my life never gave a damn and now I'm being sent to live with him!" I said, a tear crawling down my cheek.

        Just then the doorbell rang. I scoffed. Mom opened the door when no one made a move. 

"Amity, you loo-" 

"Stop talking," I snapped. 

"Amity, I know you don't like him but you can at least treat him like a human," Dad says. I shrug. 

"Love you," I say hugging them. I slowly walked to Drew's car.

-----------

It's been an hour since I said a single word. 

"So, Amity. What's your favorite color?"

"Attending scrub blue," That's  what I call it, it's probably royal blue but the name reminds me of cleaning chemicals and home. 

"Interesting. What's your favorite subject in school?"

"Science, obviously. Do you even know what I want my career to be?"

"No, but I'll guess it's being a surgeon?"

"Yeah. I want to save lives. It's like being a superhero, but cooler," I marvel momentarily.

"Townes wanted to be a surgeon too," 

"Townes?" 

"Your mom, or birth mom. She had just gotten into Harvard when she found out she was pregnant with you. We were 19 and crazy. It broke her heart but she wasn't going to give you up or have an abortion. So she had you, but I guess eventually she turned to drugs and alcohol," He says, looking like he could cry.

"You must have really loved her," I say looking down.

"She was my best friend and it took her death to realize she was the love of my life,"

"So, you knew she was dead?" We pulled up to his house and I got settled in. 

"What do you want for dinner?" He asks. I just shake my head and go to bed.

-------------- 

           We spend the day playing board games and watching T.V. I sit on the couch reading when I notice a picture of a young Drew and a woman who I recognized, Townes. I stand up and walk over. She was pregnant and he had his head close to her stomach. He was talking to it, to me.

       He walks in holding two plates with pizza on each. 

"Why did you leave?" I say, almost crying.

"Amity-"

"You left her. She was a scared young mother with a whole life ahead of her before you got her pregnant! The least you could have done was stay!" I yell, tears brimming.

"You didn't just leave her, you left me," I say with my voice cracking. He isn't my dad, but how bad was I to have driven him off? That feeling of abandonment haunted me, I should at least know why.

"She left me, Amity. She left a month before you were born and I didn't know where she went. I didn't leave you, Amity," I look at him and run upstairs. 

---------------

          "Bye, Drew. See you in a few days," I say lowly. 

"Honey! How was Drew's? You still love us, right?" I hug Mom.

"He has a shot mom,"

"What?"

"He could actually win. I don't want him to, but.. he has a real shot," I say crying. I hope mom and dad don't lose me, It'd be too hard on me. He doesn't realize that he doesn't need me. He just want one last piece of Townes to be with him. He doesn't want me.