Chapter 31: Magic and Its Unpredictability

Start from the beginning

"I thought there was something off about the way Great Britain had so many colonies. Still, why are you never involved with those meetings they go to?" Damian questions while I set my teacup down.

"I'm not of age yet and I never really gave much thought about it. I honestly didn't think I would have any need for including myself in their business affairs." I admit since there was never once a time when I gave particular interest in my family's business.

Surely they don't expect me to take over in the future? There wouldn't be a reason for me to do so. We're going to live forever and we haven't been sought out by either the vampire monarchy or the demons my mother mentions. The only demon I've seen is Damian and he doesn't pose any threat to my family.

"Why not? You never planned on leaving your family one day to see the world? Or be self reliant at the very least?" Damian badgers and picks up another slice of cake.

"At the moment no. I have no desire to leave my family yet. Not until I have mastered the new spells I'm able to cast." I answer as I wipe some crumbs off of Lily's mouth.

"That reminds me, Garrick, have you ever tried using magic since the test?" Luka asks to which I shake my head. "Why not?"

"I didn't have time to nor reason to try. Acantha doesn't know if I had passed or not and I rather not risk it." I confess, lifting Lily up only to set her back on her seat.

"Garrick, in this long eternal life of ours, there's nothing that should scare us. You three are practically as invincible as me!" Damian exclaims with a wide grin.

"Magic has its fair share of unpredictability as well, Damian. I can't take this as lightly as you." I berate while a low growl resonates deep in my threat.

"I don't mean it as taking lightly of magic, I don't want you to die either. Otherwise, who else is going to put up with me for the rest of time?" Damian responds which bought a small smile on my face. That would be his biggest concern.

"There's always Luka and Kang-Dae." I banter, my smile transforming into a smirk.

Damian's expression shifts from concern to horror and takes in an exaggerated gasp. "But Luka can't stand me and I don't know Kang-Dae well! Except that he turns into a little bunny!"

"Spend more time with him." I suggest and finish sipping the rest of my tea when I heard a faint tapping sound behind me.

Rising from my seat, I walk towards the window where I see a raven pecking its beak against the glass. I press down on the hatch then push the window open, the raven flying inside. Lily releases a short giggle as I return to my seat and stare at the raven standing in front of my plate. The raven has its head tilted up facing me with its black eyes trained on me while I thought to it, "What news do you have for me?"

"The human we have our flock trailing has found him returning to his nest. We overheard him wanting to head to bed. Will that be all you need from us tonight?" The raven replies inside my head.

"If it is not too much of a bother, would you watch over his nest until he leaves from there?" I request politely.

"Certainly. Anything else?" The raven agrees, shaking my head as my response.

"No, that would be all for now. Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it." I thank before the raven nods his head once and flies out to the window.

"What did the bird want, Garrick?" Damian asks as I got up to close the window.

"To tell me that Galvin went home. He's done for tonight, but I had asked that they keep an eye on him until he leaves his flat. By then, he'll summon me for a rendezvous." I declare, shutting the window.