The White Witch - 28

I felt queasy as I sat on the hard plastic chair in the waiting room of the hospital, Lucas's words swirling round in my head. 

'It was you, wasn't it?' 

I hadn't had the chance to respond before I was pulled away by paramedics, insisting on checking me over. What was he thinking? Was he going to tell anyone? My worried thoughts were cut short as the door opened beside me.

As soon as I had been given the 'Ok' to leave, I made my way up the hall in search of Leah. I had been told to wait here while they checked her over. 

"You can go in now." A nurse told me before scurrying off down another corridor. 

I sucked in a deep breath before standing up. Were we ok now or was that just because we needed to get out of there? Would she still be mad at me? 

My nerves almost had me sitting back down again. I have never been as close with anyone as I am with Leah and Lucas, the thought of them being mad at me scared me. I shook my head and trudged down the corridor. Leah wouldn't be mad, she would know that  I was only trying to help her. 

I knocked on the door gently before opening it a few inches and popping my head into the room. 

"Can I come in?" I asked when Leah's gaze landed on me. She gave me a brief smile and a nod before looking away again. I stepped into the room slowly, taking in the mask she wore on her face and the tired look in her eyes. 

This was my fault. 

I stood awkwardly at the foot of the bed, my new found guilt eating away at me. My best friend was in hospital and it was because of me, she could have died and all because I can't control my powers along with my emotions. 

"I'm sorry." I heard Leah mumble from the bed. Wait, she was saying sorry to me? I looked up at her in surprise. "I should have listened to you in there, you were right. I was being so stupid! I just wanted it to be real." 

A tear slid down her face and she quickly went to wipe it away. Right at that moment, Lucas came in. My heart spiked upon seeing him, but it started hammering for a whole different reason once I saw the look on his face. 

"Don't you think you've done enough?" He whispered harshly before tossing a glance over my shoulder at Leah. "We'll be right back." 

Lucas pulled me out into the hallway, he was surprisingly gentle but the hard look on his face hadn't changed, he was really mad. 

"What are you doing here?" He asked. 

"I wanted to see if she was ok, I-" I started before he cut me off.

"What so you could feel a little less guilty knowing she's getting out of it with just a bit of smoke inhalation?" He narrowed his eyes at me. 

"No! That's no-" Once again he cut me off. 

"Leave it, I don't want excuses Bridget-" This time I cut him off. 

"I didn't mean to!" I all but yelled back at him. 

"That's not the point Bridget! My sister could have died today and that's your fault! That power of yours, it's dangerous. I don't want it, or you near my family anymore." He said before turning away from me. 

"But-" I sniffed, tears welling in my eyes. He was alreay gone. 

I stood there for a few minutes, alone in the hallway with tears running down my face. I had lost control and ended up nearly killing people and then on top of that I had lost both my best friend and my boyfriend, all in one day.

Sniffing back the tears, I quickly wiped my eyes and tried to make it look like I hadn't just been crying before walking through the hospital with my head down, just to be sure no one would notice. 

All I wanted was to go home and shut myself in my room, but before I left I had one more person to see. 

After finding out the name (Myra-Anne Mills) and which room she was in, I set off down yet another hallway, giving a quick knock on the door before stepping into the room. I looked at the woman in the bed, looking so much weaker and older than she had before. 

Her eyes flickered towards me, a scowl on her face as I moved a little closer. I looked at the cast on her leg and winced as I remembered she was wearing it because of me. 

"Oh, it's you." She said in a flat tone. 

"I just came to see how you were." I said quietly. 

"I'm stuck in a hotpital bed with this stupid mask on my face and a cast on my leg, which has to stay on for weeks! How do you think I am?" She grumbled, causing her to caugh a little. 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have came." I said, making my way back to the door. 

"Wait!" I looked over my shoulder, my hand hovering over the door handle, "thank you."

I gave her a nod, a small smile making it's way on to my face for just a moment before I stepped back out into the hallway and made my way home. 

*****

My parents stepped into the hall as I closed the front door, shooting me curious glances. Probably because I was home earlier than expected. 

"Good time with the boyfriend?" Dad winked at me me. Mum gave him a worried look, clearly noticing my mood much quicker than him. 

"What boyfriend?" I grumbled, making a start for the stairs. 

"What? What's that little-" Dad started until mum placed a hand on his arm. 

"We're here if you need to talk, ok?" She said.

"Thanks." I nodded before running up the stairs. I slammed my bedroom door behind me and flopped onto my bed, ready to hide myself away from the rest of the world.