The White Witch - 29

I trudged downstairs as slowly as possible the next morning. Anything to prevent facing school.

The kitchen was quiet, only the sound of the kettle boiling to be heard. Mum and dad gave me sad smiles as I walked into the room. Had they been talking about me? I took my usual seat at the table and stared at the hard wood, not even bothering to get my breakfast. 

I heard mums chair scrape back before a bowl and the box of cereal were placed in front of me. I sighed, picking up the box. I really didn't feel like eating but I knew mum wouldn't let me off with not having breakfast. 

"My head is killing me" I groaned in a convincing manner. I think. 

"There's pain killers in the cupboard." Mum said, nodding at the cupboard to her left. I sighed, slumping down in my seat. 

"I don't have to go in today right?" I asked, pleading with my eyes. 

"Have you been sick?" She raised her brow with suspicion. 

"No.." I replied.

"Then you're going to school." She said. 

"But mum-" I started before dad cut me off. 

"Bridget, you can't avoid him forever." Dad said, making me scowl, "Plenty of fish in the sea and all that." 

Now I was full on glaring at him, he didn't even know what he was talking about! Why do parents always think they know everything? 

"Bridget, if you're not ready to give up yet, then you need to go to school." Mum said, giving me a soft smile. 

"How does that even make sense?" I muttered. 

"Because! You need to go in and remind him why you two like each other so much! Come up with a plan or something. That's what young girls usually do right?" She grinned. 

"You mean, find a way to make him want me back?" I asked. 

"Well...in the right ways of course." She said. 

"Got it." I smiled back at her before rushing from the room. 

"Um Bridget, I thought you needed pain killers?" Mum called after me, but I was too busy already packing my bag for school. 

Thoughts swirled round in my head. How could I make him forgive me? It won't be easy, that's for sure. And what about Leah? I needed to find a way to make things up to her too, I need my best friend. 

************

I walked to school feeling a little better than I had when I had woken up. Lucas had every right to be mad at me, but I will apologize as much as it takes and I will do what I can to make him feel like I'm not a danger to him or his family anymore. 

That comment still hurt though, I would never want to hurt anyone and to hear him saying that I was dangerous had really upset me. 

My good mood faded as form passed by and Lucas never showed up. Was he avoiding me? I wanted to be mad at him until I remembered I had been planning on doing the same thing just this morning. 

Besides, how do I know for sure that he's avoiding me? He could just be at the hospital with Leah. 

Yeah right(!) 

The day passed slowly and I wanted nothing more than to go home and once again shut myself in my room, I even considered going home early and skipping the rest of the day. 

I put that thought to the back of my head as I passed through the hallway and made my way to the lunch hall. I looked around the room, wondering where I should sit now that I was on my own. That's when I spotted him. 

There across the room, Lucas was sat by himself, eating a sandwich. So he really was avoiding me? I sucked in a deep breath, pushing my shoulders back before marching straight over to him. I pulled out a chair and sat beside him. 

He must have known it was me because he didn't even look up to see who it was. 

"You've been avoiding me." I stated. 

"And?" He said, "It's over Bridget, there's nothing left to say." 

"Maybe not for you, but I still have plenty to say!" I frowned as he sat back in his seat, letting out a sigh. 

"Well, I'm not interested." He said. 

"So you won't even let me say sorry?" I asked, wanting to cry. 

"Sorry isn't going to change anything. Now, will you let me finish my lunch in peace or do I have to go somewhere else?" He asked. I was so frustrated, I wanted to stomp my foot like a child, to punch punch him! But I knew it was my fault that he was acting this way, I couldn't do either of those things.

I watched him for a moment, wondering what to say next. Would he really get up and leave if I continued to persue this right now? I didn't doubt that he would, not one bit. 

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. There was nothing I could do. Not yet anyway. 

"Just...don't give up on me." I said quietly, "Not yet." 

And with that I walked away, keeping my head high and holding back the tears. They could wait until later.