✧eleven.༄

Fourth of July

𐬿 𐮚 ミ☆★彡 𐮚 𐬿

𐬿 𐮚 ミ☆★彡 𐮚 𐬿

JULY 4TH, 1962, Scarlett Rae Porter's favorite day of the summer break. She always reminisces over the memories that she shared with her deceased father, the two would coop up in her room playing board games because the Porter household was always filled to the brim with their distant family celebrating for the American holiday.

The father and daughter duo would have a big plate of food and multiple drinks prepared for them so they wouldn't have to go up and down the stairs, tiring themselves out. They used to take their yearly games seriously, anticipating who was going to be the years winner. Sometimes Tyler would participate when he'd grown bored and didn't want to be around their cousins anymore.

When it was time for fireworks her father would have her on his broad shoulders so his little princess could have the best view, because he knew of her love for the pyrotechnics and their astonishing colors.

The first year he was gone for the Fourth, Scarlett didn't play board games or binge on their comfort snacks. She didn't watch the display of fireworks, how was she going to be able to see them without sitting on his shoulders? Her dad was the only person who fully understood her, he was her best friend until the universe decided to take him away from her and leave her in grieving over Nikolas Porter.

The entire San Fernando Vally neighborhood were stationed outside along the streets, hanging out with their friends and family and having their enormous cookout. It was a yearly tradition ever since the town was first built. The roads were blocked with long folding tables connected together, piles of food standing high as it continued down the line of tables as pretty much all of the neighbors had made dishes for everyone to enjoy.

Most of Scarlett's family had dropped by to visit as they all crowded into the house that was too small for the large family. It was humid in the household, with everyone inside huddled up together conversing loudly. Her mother and her aunts in the kitchen cooking enough to feed an entire army. The holiday was always overwhelming for Scarlett so she decided to stay outside on the porch with a couple of her family members who were discussing gossip about the others or how the world was changing for the worst.

Scarlett caught an eye of a familiar boy with brown curly hair and freckles, the kid taking the open seat next to hers as a big wide smile appeared on his face, showing off his big buck teeth.

"Hello, Scarlett!" The boy greeted loudly, making the older girl curse under her breath and want to cut off her own ears.

Scarlett sent a fake smile to him, "Hey, Willy." She deadpanned as she internally groaned, preparing herself to listen to her cousin brag about how many toys he had gotten since the last time they saw each other, which was on Christmas Day where all of the family went to their Aunt Becca's house, Helen's older sister.