Chapter Nine

"...A-and the Opera Ghost was strangling the stagehand, and I didn't do a thing about it, a-and then he found me and he chased me and grabbed me and pulled my hair and..." I was so hysterical and terrified that I didn't even finish my story.

"Please, calm down." Meg said quietly as she put a hand on my shoulder. I jumped at her touch.

"Look, we promise that you'll be safe." Christine whispered. I clutched the bedsheet that I sat on.

"I don't feel s-safe at all..." I muttered. "I need to get out of here as soon as possible."

"No!" Christine exclaimed. "If you do that, it'll only anger him more." I rested my forehead against my palms, not sure what to do.

"I promise, you'll be safe." Meg said, lightly rubbing my shoulder. "But we must leave. Madame Giry will most likely visit you soon."

The blonde girl looked over at Christine, lightly jerking her head to signal that they should leave. Christine nodded and slowly stood, her friend doing the same. They both left the room, leaving me alone with nothing but silence.

Sighing, I changed into a heavy, cotton pink nightgown. Its ends lightly drifted around my ankles. I sat back down onto my bed, and hesitantly, I picked up the candle and blew it out.

Time Skip

The chime of midnight woke me with a start. The grandfather clock that sat in the corner filled my room with the loud noise. I clutched my comforter, getting the familiar feeling of being watched.

I slowly got to my feet, deciding to go to the kitchens to fetch a glass of water. I lit a candle and made my way out of my room and to the kitchen.

Once I made it, I fixed myself a small plate of sliced baguette and cheese to go with my water. Leaning against one of the counters, I ate in silence.

Suddenly, there was a shadow. My heart skipped a beat and my teeth same to a halt as I stopped chewing the bread I'd been eating. My grasp on my water glass tightened.

The door suddenly swung shut, making me grip the dainty china cup so tightly that it exploded into many pieces. I winced as my skin was opened by the sharp fragments, but that left my mind as I lunged towards the door, jiggling the knob, which was locked.

Panic started to erupt in me as I shook the doorknob as hard as I could. Sweat started to bead around my forehead and coat my hands, making the it hard to grasp the handle.

A bag of flour suddenly fell from a top shelf across the room, exploding  with a loud thud. I coughed as the white substance filled the air and spilled all over the floor. I backed up against the door, trembling terribly.

The door behind me swung open, making me fall into someone's arms. I gave a short but shrill shriek.

When I looked up, I was relieved to see myself not staring at a mask, but a familiar, handsome face.

"Are you okay, mademoiselle?" The man asked. I stood up, my face on fire.

"Thank you, Raoul, but I'm afraid I'm not." I replied. "I was... feeling a bit hungry, so I decided to fix myself a snack."

"Understandable." He replied. My heart fluttered slightly. I knew that Raoul was with Christine, but he was still very handsome.

I'd known him since I came here when I was about ten. He was a bit older than me, but I still found him attractive. Always helping others, and putting his life on the line was a trait I always admired because I wanted to do the same. Six years later and I was still smitten.

"Let me help you to your room." He whispered. "It's late, and you must be tired. I wouldn't want you getting lost." I guess he didn't know that I could find my way to my old room blindfolded due to how long I've lived in the theatre.

"Thank you." I said sweetly. He went to take my hand and noticed the small shards of china in my skin.

Gently grasping my upper arm, he led me to a barrel of water where he sat me down, grabbed a cloth and a pair of tweezers, and spent ten minutes pulling minuscule pieces from my hand.

Once the very shallow wounds were cleaned, he led me back to my room. I noticed how he was continuously looking over his shoulder. I instantly assumed that Christine had told him what happened. We found my room and he opened the door for me.

"Good night, mademoiselle. If you need anything, please alert me. Miss Daae wants me to protect and help you as much as possible." He gave a soft smile and walked off. I wished him good night, closed my door, and walked towards my bed. As I passed my vanity, I noticed an envelope in the dim light.

Curious, I picked it up. The front had my name written in very sophisticated cursive. I didn't think much of it until I saw the stamp. It was blood red and in the shape of a skull.