Chapter Twenty Eight

I have never seen Colby and Cam so happy. Of course in this moment Cam is pretending to be angry as his grandma continues to tell me an embarrassing story about him when he was a child. Even though he is trying to make it look like he is mad, I can see the slight smile on his face. Cam and Colby are sitting close to their grandma, hanging onto her every word. Every once in a while I see Cam looking over in my direction only for a moment before turning back to his grandma.

I am so happy that they all wanted me to be a part of this special day with them. It is truly amazing to see a family be back together again. Colby is beaming as he tells his grandma about one of his new friends at school. His grandma being able to finally be out of the hospital is exactly what Colby needs, he needs her, she and Cam are his only family left.

"I'll be home everyday now Colby. We can spend a lot more time together." His grandma says. He beams and bounces up and down in his chair. He pauses and looks over at me.

"Hai Hai, will you no come over anymore?" Colby asks, his eyes sad.

"Of course not, I'll be coming over all the time, how could I not see my best friend." I say, smiling at him. He gets out of his chair and runs over to me, I pick him up and sit him on my lap, wrapping my arms around him so he doesn't fall.

"How sweet, Colby seems to be really attached to your girlfriend Cameron."  Grandma Blake says.

"I'm gonna mawwy Hai Hai!"  Colby exclaims, making me giggle.  Cam fake glares at his little brother.  Grandma Blake laughs.

"Look's like you have some competition Cameron." Grandma Blake says.

"Why don't you kids run along, I'm going to make something for us to eat."  She says, standing up, Colby jumps off my lap and runs to his Grandma.

"I wanna help!"  He exclaims.  She smiles down at her grandson adoringly.

"Are you sure?  You just got out of the hospital."  Cam says, looking worried.

"I'll be okay.  A little cooking won't hurt me.  Plus you boys need a good meal, I don't even want to imagine what you've been eating while I've been gone."  She says, taking Colby into the kitchen.  Two boys not knowing how to cook, what have they been eating? It makes me wish I made them food, I never thought about it before.  I don't where I would be without my moms cooking. Probably eating frozen dinners with my dad.

Cam walks to his bedroom and I follow along close behind.  I stare at Cam's back, it looks as if it has gotten more muscular.  Perhaps from working out with his football friends.  As soon as we step into his room Cam closes the door.  My cheeks heat up.  Why am I blushing?!  I've been in Cam's room before, I've even slept in his bed. 

Cam sits on his bed and reaches his hand out to me.  I take it and he pulls me toward him.  I sit in front of him, almost in his lap.  He wraps his arms around my waist and hugs me close to him, making my heart beat faster.  He lays in his head on my shoulder and exhales.

"I feel like a great weight has been taken off of my heart."  He whispers only for me to hear. 

"Being constantly worried about your grandma, taking care of the bills and your brother, a lot of responsibility was put on you all at once.  Now you can finally breathe a little."  I say.  He sighs and holds me tighter.

"It wasn't that bad.  At least I have you.  Being with you has always taken the stress away.  When I'm with you all my thoughts are consumed by you."  I smile widely at his sweet words.

"I feel the same way, I can't thank you enough for helping me through everything lately." I place my hand over his. We sit in comfortable silence for a while when I remember something. I remove my hand from his and start to stand up but Cam doesn't release me.