Chapter 8: Broken Tools

Start from the beginning

"They're not done! There on the move!" I shouted and turned back, already running back to my comrades. They looked at me in horror.

"Where in Hel are they going to come out next?" Heskell shouted, his voice dry and hoarse and his dark hair slick with sweat. Everyone drew their weapons in sync.

"It sounded as if it was coming from the right side." I answered back, we formed a circle back to back to view all sides. Asmund as usual next to me, determination set on his heavy brow.

"Does that mean the South District?" Tove whispered harshly.

Before any of us could answer the same heart stopping thundering sound echoed in the sky.

The wall has been broken again. Goosebumps littered my body as we all called our beasts- a mess of whistles and words echoing in the ashen sky. Our horses ran to us and we jumped on with ease as we drew our shoulders back and ordered to horses to the South District. None of them had been evacuated.

~

We arrived in a funk and had split apart- some to find the entry hole the Half-Jotuns had created, another group riding around and killing all enemies they laid eyes on, and another group yet to evacuate and herd the commoners out.

I galloped quickly around a large group of people, all pushing to try and get through a small ally way to the safe point on the hill.

"Don't push for God's sake! Go in a single file!" I yelled at them and they flinched but nothing changed. Tove joined me as we circled the group of people. The barbarians had begun to appear and circle around through group of people, hissing in their own language and thrusting their blades forward. I glanced at Tove, making eye contact before we both nodded.

Tove shot up at small group of particularly angry Jotuns. They shouted in anger but didn't progress further.

I glanced back to see the crowd had shrunk but people still pushed to get in. I bit the inside of my cheek to prevent yelling at the commoners in rage as they didn't listen to my words.

"Where in the Allfather's name is the rest if the army! Are they not going to protect their own people?" I hissed in frustration. Tove glanced at me, his brows heavy with worry.

"I believe either King Odin has forbidden it or something bad has happened." He answered and he clenched his jaw.

"Hasn't something bad already happened?" I said under my breath as I made angry eye contact with a half-Jotun. His eyes dark and bloodshot looking but hungry for power.

The group of Half-Jotuns stood their ground, slowly growing in numbers but never attacking though they shifted and danced around on antsy feet.

"Once everyone is through we need to give them time to get on top of the hill. They will be upset they couldn't get past us," Tove said gesturing towards the group of barbarians. Foam pooled around some of their mouths, their eyes blood raged.

Inbreds, I thought distastefully.

Already they had begun to move forward taking careful teasing steps, daring us to make a move.

The sudden sound of screams and angry grunts drew my attention to the left. In the sky smoke had risen and clouded what light was even left in the pale sky. Asgard looked as if it were dying slowly and anger festered in my stomach, forming a dark pit.

"Take them out!" he commanded, circling his horse around.

"Where are you going?" I asked as I draw my blades out.

"I feel as if they need help. Once you clear them- head to the fire point over there," he said firmly as he pointed to the left where the smoke had risen further into a dark plume. "I'm sure that is where the fight and the second break is. I will meet you there," he said and dug his steel plated heels into his steeds side and they galloped off, following the trail the people had crammed to get out of. I shifted my eyes back to the half-Jotuns and Bjorn grunted as if to tell me to get a move on.