12

Jake p.o.v.

I came down stairs and John waved at me. Looks like most of the guests have already arrived but where is the fellow you saw outside?

"John have you seen a family of six walk in recently?"

"Nope, I'm actually looking for someone too. Remember the last masquerade party we had?"

"That was a while back but yes, why?"

He just nodded his head and went walking away in thought. After he left I was stuck dancing with ladies my father introduced. I smiled awkwardly, dancing with them but looking out in the crowd for the mysterious man. I saw spicked up blonde hair. It has to be him! I excused myself from dancing and went over. He smelled like sea water it has to be him...and if its no its just a miss understanding right? The two oldest didn't have a mask instead some sunglasses, why wear them inside?

Alright I should just go up to him, He should be Dirk, who else has eyes like that? If I could turn into a merman they should be able to turn human...

I reached my hand out and tapped his shoulder.

"U-um Dirk..."

I expected only him to turn around but his whole family looked at me... I gulped and held out my hand,

"Hello, I am Jake English oldest son, my father would like to thank you for attending this party."
No that wasn't what I meant to say!!!

He held my hand and shook it.
"Dirk Strider, eldest son of the Strider family." He smirked at me and I couldn't help but smile, it was him! I had so many things to ask him but someone interrupted me.

"Ah the Strider family, Thank you so much for attending."

Father put his hand on my shoulder and gripped it hard I quickly let go of Dirks hand and Dirk frowned slightly, I know what father meant when he gripped my shoulder...
"I would like to introduce you to my eldest daughter-"

I saw Jane who just looked at the ground but she looked at one of the sisters in pink and smiled quickly.

"..Jane, Everything is arranged for the both Dirk and Jane yes?"

What!? Dirk is the sutor father had spoken about? I frowned and just walked away. I knew Father would never let me be happy... I bit my lip and passed by John but he stopped me,

"Jake are you okay?"

"Its just father again, nevermind anyway your looking for the fellow from the last party?"

"What how did you-"

I took a deep breath, there's nothing I can do so might as well just show John.

"I'll take you,"

I whipped my eyes under the mask and walked back to the Strider family. John smiled quickly when he saw who I assumed was Dave? Thise red eyes are hard to miss. I saw father was with Jade and Jane.

"-Jade is going to be a wonderful bride to you."

Father said talking to Dave. John looked upset, he coughed loudly and we all turned to looked at him.

"Father the pixies family has arrived wouldn't you like to check on our brides aswell?"

I looked at Dirk and his eyes widened quickly. Father quickly excused himself and went to the entrance. I, Jane, Jade, and John burst in laughter. Of course he'd leave, I knew John was lying about them already here we just wanted him to leave. The Striders and the two ladies looked at us confused.

"I apologize for our father leaving but please enjoy the party."

I smiled and took of my mask because it was kinda hurting. The girl I think was Roxy immediately pointed her finger at me,

"So it is you!!"

I chuckled and smiled,
"Nice to meet you again."
I held my hand out and she giggled taking it and shaking it quickly. She pulled me close,
"Hey you should introduce me your sister."
Her breath smelled like a bit of alcohol but I wasn't worried. I noticed Jane had an eye for her aswell.

"Jane this is Roxy, a friend of mine"

I smiled and left Jane with Roxy. Everyone pretty much scattered after that and I snuck out to the balcony for some fresh air. At least I know Jane doesn't have an interest in Dirk. But Dave is a possible suitor for Jade? Not likely, Jade likes Karkat. It was kinda late but the party won't be ending soon. I looked out and saw the ocean not to far away,

"Out of everyone why Dirk?"
I said aloud with a sigh.

"Nice to see you again to Jake."

I jumped and turned around,
"Dirk!?"