Chapter 14 - Friends

(Goth)

Waking up from my troubled, crying-induced sleep, I discovered a light had been turned on in the room. Blinking into it, I found that I was in a small room with black marble floors and grey tiled walls. A singular bulb hung in the center of the ceiling, shining a bright light on me.

"Ah, you're awake!" said a voice from the opposite corner. I looked down, scooting into the corner as I saw the stranger. Only, I didn't see them. It was a little speaker on the wall, with a blinking red light on it.

I said nothing, just stared at the speaker. "Oh, sorry, did I scare you?" the voice in the speaker sounded concerned. Still, I said nothing.

"I've got some food for you if you're hungry," a slit on the door opened and a little tray came inside. The scent of food made my mouth water, "I'd come in but I don't think you really want company right now. Just knock on the door when you're done, okay?"

The red light shut off. I approached the food, looking at it hungrily. A plate of pancakes with butter and syrup, and a short glass of orange juice. I tasted it tentatively, and it was better than Palette's cooking. The thought of Palette made me pause.

Then hunger got the better of me and I devoured the pancakes. Downing the orange juice, I had the thought that it might have been poisoned. I mentally kicked myself for the thought, because why would someone who put some sort of magical net on a chasm to catch suicidal people poison their food?

Finished with the food, I went back to my corner. I thought for a while. I need Palette. I need him... I need to get out of here.

I stood up, feeling inside my pocket for my knife. It was still there. Taking a deep breath, I walked up to the door and knocked, then stepped back. Preparing to run, I held my knife out, flicking the blade open.

The door opened a short while later and I bolted with a yell, tackling the person who opened the door and surprising them. I leaped off of them and ran down the hallway I found myself in, just hoping there was an exit.

Someone came around the corner and I crashed into them, falling to the ground with them. They grabbed my arm as I fought to get off. I scratched my knife over their face, growling. They grabbed my other arm and flipped us over, pinning me down as I bucked to get them off. The knife fell out of my hand.

"Goth, calm down!" the person shouted.

"Get off of me!" I growled, writhing, "Get off of me, you son of a- Gray?" I stopped moving, looking at the face above me. Gradient smiled down at me.

"Done with your fussing?" he asked me.

"Wh-wha-why-huh?" I couldn't form words.

He stood up, pulling me up with him. I just stared at his face.

"Gradient, did you catch him?" called someone, running down the hall, "He's quicker than lightning!"

"Yeah, bro, I got him!" Gradient called behind his shoulder, "Now, are you calm? Or do I need to pin you down again?" He bent over and picked up my knife. He handed it back to me and I accepted it numbly. The other person I tackled ran up.

"Who is he?" I asked Gradient softly.

"Meet my brother, PaperJam," Gradient said proudly when his brother paused.

PaperJam was a bit taller than Gradient, but he had dark bones and brightly colored eyes. His head flowed like ink, and his clothes were the color of printer ink.

"Nice to meet you," PaperJam nodded at me, "Why did you tackle me?"

"I wanted to escape," I said roughly. Gradient touched the scratch on his cheek, chuckling.