Gathering Place

Chapter 27

I closed my eyes against the sight of Thomas's blood, but I couldn't turn off the metallic smell of wet, rusted iron even if I wanted to. With my over-active senses on high alert, I had a hard time believing I'd lost what I'd just found.

What I absolutely refused to dwell on was the thought of Thomas alone somewhere and bleeding. Otherwise, I knew the anger would drive me insane.

Oh, I planned to make Serenity pay dearly for hurting him. But first, I still had to find out the location of the witches gathering place.

One thing I knew for sure, I was willing to do whatever it took to get him back. I would even give up eternity if it meant I could hold him one more time.

Meeting Luna's silver eyes full of nervous apprehension, I nodded reassuringly. “I'm ready to get my revenge on.”

“Then it's all set,” she said, echoing my determination. Pulling a postcard out of thin air, she handed it to me.

I took it and read it out loud. “BYOC and meet me in Hell.” Frowning, I handed it back to her. “What does it mean?”

Luna's eyes sparkled with anticipation. “It means, bring your own cauldron, and meet me in Hell.”

I shook my head. “I don't get it.”

“Hell, Michigan...” she said pointedly. “Serenity in all her cunning and wisdom wanted to make sure that no ordinary mortal reading the invitation would be able to solve the mystery surrounding the Witches Ball, so she buried the true location deep within the card itself. The only way to find it was to perform an ancient magic spell to unlock the secret. I had just finished when you showed up.”

I narrowed my eyes into thin slits. “So, now we know where Serenity is going to be. Does that mean we know when the Ball is?”

Luna nodded slowly, long white hair cascading loosely down her back. “Tonight at Midnight.”

Glancing at my alarm clock on the bedside table, I made a mental note of the time. “That's only in a little more than twelve hours from now. How long does it take to get to Hell?”

I had a hard time saying that with a straight face.

“It's about two hours away from my place,” she noted. “But first, we have to load my cauldron, collect the necessary ingredients for a few magic spells I have planned, and then you and I still have to get dressed.”

The thought of putting on some kind of formal Ball gown gave me the squeamies. I glanced over at Luna, eyes hopeful and stuck out my lower lip. “After everything I've just been through, I was kinda hoping you'd changed your mind about that last part.”

“Not on your life.” She grinned at me in delight. “And I've created the perfect dress just for you.”

“Well, you don't have to look so happy about it,” I snapped. Just like that, all of the lights in the entire house blew out at once, showering us in electric blue sparks, while at the same time leaving us standing in total blackness. Unfortunately for me, my zombie sight switched on to help me see, which only made the smug look on Luna's face stand out that much more.

“And don't forget to grab your violin,” she added, sounding amused and clearly unafraid of the dark.

That made one of us.

I took comfort in knowing I had entertainment value. I could only hope she felt the same way about watching me kick some witchy ass.