Face Off

Chapter 12

Gonzer leaned against the front of his desk, muscular arms folded tightly across his ample chest – expression unreadable. Doctor Drool stood next to him, flanked by two angry looking police officers. My gaze fell instinctively downward to a document on a brown clip-board. Realization that Doctor Drool had followed through on his promise to have me committed to the looney-bin, hit me like a wave of nausea.

I turned to make a run for it. Sensing my need to escape, one officer blocked the door with his body, while the other held up a white straight jacket with too many silver buckles to count, attempting to wrangle me in it.

“Mr. Gonzer, you can't let them do this,” I pleaded. “Please, don't let them take me away.”

He held up a hand, and the officer holding the jacket backed off. For now anyway. “Why would I want to help you, Chaos? After all, you did try to drown me.”

“That was an accident,” I lied. Yeah, accidentally on purpose.

Gonzer stepped forward, invading the crap out of my personal space. Point for him. “It didn't feel like an accident.” I sensed his red hot anger like a slap in the face, as if I'd humiliated him only yesterday. Point for me.

Unwilling to back down even if I did need him to be on my side, we faced off standing nose to nose...uh, make that nose to chest. The Gonz was taller than me. By a lot.

I raised my chin defiantly, head cocked to one side. “Trust me, if I wanted you dead, you would be. It's that simple.”

Gonzer smiled acidly. “That almost sounds like a threat.”

“You're still breathing, aren't you?”

His eyes widened in mock surprise. “I think we're done here.” Turning away, he said, “I hope this little getaway you've got planned is permanent. I don't want her anywhere near my school, understood?”

That almost hurt my feelings. Almost, but not quite.

“Oh, trust me,” Doctor Drool promised. “She won't be back to bother you.” He gave a nod, and both police officers moved in, capturing me by the arms.

Consumed by a fire that burned from within, my emerald eyes blazed with fury. Exhaling, my lips slowly parted as I drew the power deep inside my center just like Serenity had taught me. Holding it like a living thing, I let the energy continue to swell. Heat filled the room as if the very air we breathed was charged with electric tension.

I swung my gaze left then right, eyes finally coming to rest on Doctor Drool's smiling handsome face. “Tell your goony squad to let me go.”

“Now why would I go ahead and do something like that?” he sneered.

My returning smile felt weird, even to me. “It's your funeral.”

I felt the fire coursing through my veins come to an abrupt halt as every piece of furniture in Gonzer's office lifted up off the ground. Heart rate spiking I yanked free, then extending one arm I sliced the air, sending furniture sailing out in all directions. The desk careened against the opposite wall, pinning the Gonz. Two heavy book cases flattened the police. And before I managed to launch everything else at Doctor Drool, including a lamp, two coffee tables, a sofa and a set of matching chairs, he stuck me in the arm with a super sharp needle – making my world go dark.