14.1 || The Past's Hold

Start from the beginning

The man did not speak up again. At least he had a few brain cells.

Cale shot Harrison one last glare before turning back to his family. He did a double take, then hurried over to his mom and dad. Josh watched him, and it only took him a moment to realize what had caused the rush.

He didn't see Mara anywhere.

Josh leaned forward, prepared to run in some direction to find her. Cale beat him to it. With a few whispered words to his parents, he took off in the direction of the classrooms.

The urge to follow pulled at Josh still, but he swallowed and leaned back. Cale would help Mara. He would get over the uneasy feeling the idea left him. He had other, much more important problems to deal with than stupid jealousy.

"What now, Ioana?" he asked.

Ioana bit her lip, eyes roaming the crowd. She sighed and turned to him. Although her determination hadn't faltered, the fire in her eyes was lost, uncertain what path to burn along. "All we can do now is wait for Imani."

That decided, Ioana announced the dismissal to the courtyard, promising to update everyone when a plan was decided. Many shuffled back to their quarters, still whispering to each other, but a chunk stuck behind—including the Michaels, Hisato, and Akachi. Cale's parents discussed in hushed voices while Hisato and Akachi took seats nearby, watching Ioana as if waiting to help the moment she requested it.

When she was sure everyone who planned on leaving left, Ioana sat down at the table with Josh and his parents. She rubbed her eyes with the heels of her palm and just paused like that.

"How are you guys holding up?" she asked without looking up.

"I—" Josh's mom began, then she clamped her mouth shut. After a moment, she continued, "I just wish I could do something."

The frustrated words carried an unbalanced weight, like more needed to be said but was kept back. Josh could have tried analyzing the words. Figure out if they could reveal that missing connection he knew existed between his mom and the Sanctuary. But he was too drained.

"So, you think Imani will know something?" his dad asked.

Ioana laid her arms across her legs and sighed. "He said they were opening the seals," she said. "I have a bad feeling I know what he means, but I need Imani here to answer me. To tell me why they need him. To..." She pursed her lips, and her next words came out as a pained whisper. "To help me decide what to do next."

Josh forced his body to be still while his insides squirmed. A cloud of pent-up frustration lingered over their group, underlined with the hurt they each fought against. It all pushed down on his shoulders.

He shot up so suddenly everyone jumped. "I'm going to see Boomer."

His dragon's presence flared up at the mention of his name. Josh waited a moment, though, and glanced at his family.

His parents didn't argue. His mom bit her lip, but there was an understanding in her gaze that his dad shared in a smaller amount.

"We'll be here," his mom said.

Again, he had the sense of connecting dots to a mystery, but he dismissed it and wandered off toward the Sanctum.

Maybe being near someone who saw into his soul would ease the ache there.