Chapter 30

Chapter 30
ELLA'S POV

When the door opened, a drop dead gorgeous woman in a bodycon and stilletos went inside. She looked familiar but I can't remember where I've seen her.

"Is this the bitch you're crazy about?" She pointed her long-manicured finger at me. She's fuming mad. While right behind her was Joel, trying to drag her out of the door.

"Anika stop it! Don't make a scene here damn it!" Joel was now furious. He held the woman's wrist.

"Get out you two! What the hell are you doing here?! What is the meaning of this Ramirez?" Kat shouted and she's seething with anger.

"If there's a bitch here, it's not my best friend...it's definitely you!" She added while pointing her index at Anika.

"You shut up! I'm talking to this slut!"

"You should point your finger to yourself since obviously you're the slut here!" Kat countered and slapped Anika.

"Anika you're too much! Whatever you'll do, I'll never be yours. That fleeting affair meant nothing to me. It's long been over. So stop pining and move on!"

"It's because of her right? You dumped me for this ugly creature? I can't believe you! Hahaha..." Her words were dripping with acid.

"I said enough!" And with that he pulled her harshly with a greater force that she tripped and almost hit the floor.

They have long been gone and yet I remained silent. Still processing what had just transpired. It was Kat who broke the silence.

"Gurl, are you alright? She's just bitter you know."

"I don't know why I'm in this tangled mess Kat. I just wanted to be happy. Is it too much to ask?" My eyes sting, tears are looming in the corners.

She sighed. Her eyes are filled with sympathy. She understood what I meant. All my life I've been very obedient with the rules. But fate is always unpleased with my serene life. It always find ways to disturb my peace and bring havoc to my emotions. I thought, the nightmare is long been over. That I've finally freed myself from the bonds of heartaches and pains. But I was wrong. It only took a pause, like the transition of summer to autumn before winter comes. And now it becomes worst. There are other people involved. And it seemed like they're out to make my life miserable. Why is love and happiness so elusive? What have I done to not deserve that kind of love that is mine alone and would make me happy?

Tears just fell, like cascades of water from the source. My heart is constricted as if a hand is squeezing it until it bleeds no more. Just when I want to give a shot at a new love, things suddenly became complicated. Somehow, it ended before it began.

I was left in my solitary musings when Kat went to the Nurse's station to inquire if I can be discharged already. I don't feel anything aside from tiredness. Must be the alcohol. I'm not a social drinker and I seldom drink anything hard. Hay what has gotten into me last night is beyond my comprehension. I just wanted to forget. And I ended up being wasted. What a shame huh?!

The doctor came in and said that I was just really drunk that's why I passed out. My system wasn't able to tolerate the amount of alcohol I drank. I felt so relieved. I washed my face in the bathroom and combed my hair so that I would at least look a little decent.

Kat held my arm as we went out of the hospital lobby. We were about to flag down a taxi when a black Fortuner stopped in front of us. The shotgun window rolled down and Allen's clean-shaven face looked out. He was all smiles showing his close-up perfect teeth. Involuntarily my insides twisted and the butterflies were suddenly on the loose. My knees turned jelly and I feel like fainting. After all these years, he still has that same effect on me.

"Hey, you're going home? I'll give you a ride." He said without taking his eyes off of me.

I suddenly spaced out. I couldn't stare at him for more than a few seconds. I felt Kat nudged me bringing me back to reality.

"H-hi..t-thanks for the offer but-"

My response was interrupted by a loud honk. Making me turn to the next car. My eyes grew wide when I realized that it's Joel's car. Without thinking, I opened the front seat of Allen's car. Kat did the same at the back.

"L-let's go please..." I stuttered without glancing at Allen.

The silence was deafening. Even Kat who is usually loud wasn't able to start up a conversation. I don't know what to say either. Allen also seemed to be lost for words. My heart is hammering, I'm afraid Allen might hear its thundering sound. This ride is really awkward.

"Uhm...where is your place Ella? Is it still in Talisay or you already moved?" Allen's baritone voice broke the silence. I saw from the corner of my eye that he glanced at me, but I kept my eyes straight on the road.

"I reside in Labangon now. I'll give you the direction from time to time." I replied without looking at him.

"What about Kat? Where should I drop her?"

"I'll just get off at Ella's place. Gonna hang with her til later. Thanks." Kat casually said as if this has been our normal routine.

"Kindly turn left, then straight ahead...and then right after the gasoline station." I said still without looking at him.

"Oh you live in the Tower V?" He said when he realized where we're heading.

"Yeah...s-sorry for bothering you." I slowly lifted my eyes in his direction and then our eyes met. He held my gaze like the way he used to. Seeing right through me and into my soul. I couldn't stare for long, I averted my eyes into the windshield.

"We're here!" Kat announced. The car stopped. While I removed my seatbelt, Allen was already out of the car and was at my side opening the door for me.

"Uh..thanks for the ride." Was the only thing I managed to say.