Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Now you're blushing!" Kat teased me and the more I felt my face turning into a ripe tomato. Lately,  I've noticed that everytime time Joel's name is mentioned, a blush would always tint my face. I feel like a school girl.

While Kat cleaned up the dishes, I opened the phone Joel gave me. And to my surprise, the wallpaper was a selfie of us at La Vie. I was staring at the photo when suddenly the phone was snatched from my hand.

"Hey, give it back to me!" I shouted at Kat who ran to the living room. I went after her, trying to pluck the phone away from her grasp. But she's too quick in ducking my attempts.

"Now, let me see what's with this phone that had you grinning like an idiot," she teased.

"There's nothing in it really. It's new remember?"

"Wowwwww!! Does this look like nothing? I don't think so!" She showed me the phone with that wallpaper.

"You look so good together, such an adorable couple." She added and handed me back the phone.

"Don't be ridiculous Kat, Joel and I are mere acquaintance. You're jumping to conclusions even before the story begins."

"But kidding aside gurl, you and him will really make a great couple. You have Chemistry."

"Nah, even if we have Physics, still it's not a guarantee that I won't have my heart broken."

"Don't be such a smart ass! It's not because you have a painful History with Allen that it will keep on repeating." Kat said with conviction.

Oh well, she's right. It's just that I can't help myself from being skeptical. I've been hurt and I don't want to go down that road again. I may be enjoying the attention Joel is giving me, but it doesn't mean that I'm open for a relationship. For five years, I haven't thought about going into a relationship after what I've had. I've been too busy mending my mangled heart to pay attention to men who had shown interest in dating me. I guess, I was too bent the first time, and was too afraid to try again and get burned.

"Earth to Ella!" Kat snapped her fingers in front of me.

"W-what was that you're saying again? Sorry I didn't get it." I apologized knowing that I didn't hear a word she said. I was too occupied in my own train of thoughts that I forgot I have company.

"I said, why don't you give that hot guy Joel a chance. If it won't work, then move on."

"Hahaha...you're so funny Kat! We have just met and now you're talking about me giving him a chance. I don't even know if the guy has feelings for me."

"Can't you see? It's brighter than a thousand spotlights that he's so into you! Are you blind?" She pointed at the picture on the phone.

"I don't see anything unusual. For all I know he's just being nice. Returning the favor he owed me." I said trying to put some sense into her. She's so quick to speculate. Her mind seems to be always working double time.

Joel might have shown some interests in me. But how would I know that he truly meant it. What if, he's just being nice and that he treated all women he met the way he's treating me. It's better to be cautious than to offer my heart on a platter only to be rejected. I've learned my lessons, and as much as possible I won't submit myself again to such predicament.

My musings were interrupted when the phone I've placed on the center table sounded and Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud song played. I grabbed the fon and received the call without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hello beautiful, I just called to say goodnight! Dream of me." Joel's velvety voice on the other line was filled with amusement as he talked. For a while I've lost my ability to think and it took me a few seconds to find my voice.

"What?! Dream on...I guess, now that you've called I'm going to have a nightmare!" I said suppressing a laughter.

"Ouch! That hurts baby. This face will give you nightmares? How offending." He faked being hurt. I rolled my eyes thinking about that smirk plastered on his face right now.

"Yeah right your face... Your face is so perfect to become a movie character...Zombie Alive!! Hahaha..." I chuckled unable to keep myself from bursting into laughter. I could just imagine how annoyed he is right now.

"Zombie huh? Then I'm going to haunt you in your sleep then...but admit it, I'd be the cutest zombie there is." And with that, he gave out a hearty laugh. OMG, how I love the sound of his laughter. Deep and so masculine.

"You wish! Why don't you go get some sleep and float to dreamland with your bloated ego. Good night cutie zombie and thanks for the phone which by the way, you didn't really have to replace."

"You're welcome baby. Good night," and with that he hung up.

A face towel landed on my face and when I turned around I saw Kat smirking at me.

"What is this for?" I raised the face towel to her direction.

"Use it to wipe that goofy look you have! So you can keep on denying that there is nothing between you and Joel." She said nonchalantly.

"You're such a spoiler. I was having my moment. He's really sweet. Do you think he's good for me?"

"I was just kidding. I want you to be happy. And if he is making you happy, I'm rooting for him." Kat said sincerely. It's really too early to tell, but with the way things are rolling, I have a feeling that it won't be long and I'd end up falling for his charms.

Kat and I chatted about random things which would always lead back to Joel and his charming ways. The growing attraction between us can't be denied. I haven't felt this way for the longest time. There were guys in the past who had shown their interest in me. Some even pursued me, showering me with gifts and flowers, but none of them came close enough to merit a second or third date. I'm not really choosy. I just prefer men who don't rely on their physical appearance to win a woman's affection. Character appeals to me more than mere good looks. That's why I don't want to waste any guy's time if I don't feel that connection with him. I may be young, but I'm not impulsive.

But my next door neighbor is somewhat interesting. He may be cocky at times, even to the point of being conceited but in a funny way. And beyond his chiseled face and sculpted body, I really feel that there is a sensible man. It might be too soon to tell since it's only been two days, but I'm hoping that I'm right.

{Hello lovelies,
Thank you mucho for following this story. Your votes and comments inspire me to keep on writing. And since you've been giving me some love, I will treat you to something interesting! After this chapter I will introduce another POV since we've been acquainted with Ella. How did you like her so far? Comments.. Comments..😍}

XOXO
PretTilay 👸