Chapter 16

Chapter 16

It was Saturday when a light rapping at the door woke me up. I checked the time on my phone, it's only nine o'clock. Argh too early to get out of bed on a nonworking day. Who could it be this time? I grumpily get out of my bed and went to the door. But upon realizing that it could be Joel, I was flustered. I retreated from opening the door and went to the bathroom to check how I look. Of course my hair was like a nest. I grabbed a hairbrush and run it through my tangled hair. I splashed some water on my face and wiped it with a towel. I then hurriedly brushed my teeth to get rid of my morning breath. It took me about only three minutes. But the knock didn't sound again. He must have thought that I'm still asleep. So much so for trying to look decent. I still went to the door and opened it. Hoping he'd still be there. But there was no one, my heart plummeted to the pit and I felt so disappointed. I looked at the direction of his door. No sound could be heard. He must've left for practice. But just when I was about to close the door I looked down to something that came across my foot. Upon looking at it, my eyes almost popped out of its socket. There lay on the floor is a bouquet of pink roses. I felt my face blushed knowing that it could be from him. I quickly picked up the beautifully arranged bouquet and closed the door.

I slumped on the sofa cradling the bouquet with a silly grin on my countenance. I plucked the card tucked on the purple handmade paper wrap of the bouquet. It was written in a neat print that suggests male strokes.

"You are as beautiful as these roses...but your thorns made you more beautiful."

That's what the card said. It was only signed with two hearts entwined in an arrow that left me wondering. It looks familiar but I can't seemed to remember where I last saw it. My heart started to pound erratically, and my hand grew cold while holding the card. Reading its content again gave me the chill and left me scanning my memory about its familiarity. I became frustrated squeezing my mind, racking my brain for possible clues that would lead me to the sender of the flowers. Could it possibly be not Joel? But he's the only one who has the motive to do so. If not him, then who else? Argh...

Later in the afternoon I decided to head to the nearest mall. On my way out of the building I saw Joel coming in.

"Hey, where are you heading? I wanted to ask you earlier if you want to watch our practice game, but you had a visitor. So maybe next time. See you!" And with that he left me stunned unable to form a word.

While riding the taxi, I kept repeating what Joel had said about a visitor. But I didn't have any except for...OMG he must be referring to the person who left the flowers at my door this morning. Now I'm certain that the bouquet didn't come from him. If not him, then who? This question kept on replaying in my confused mind. Is someone stalking me? I doubt since this is the first. How did the sender know where I live? Now I'm scared...

"Hello Kat, mind meeting me at the mall? Yeah, I'm on my way there. Text me when you're there. Okay bye!" I sighed after ending the call. I need to tell her about the flowers so she could help me analyze.

"Hey, what's up? Is something wrong?" She fired right away the moment she arrived.

"Look at this." I showed her the photo of the bouquet on my phone which I took earlier.

"It's a bouquet of pink roses. What's the catch?" There goes the very sharp Katrina Gonzales. Nothing escaped her. She's like a detective who easily sees things ordinary people wouldn't.

"I found this on my doorstep this morning. The card was only signed with two hearts entwined in an arrow. Here take a look at this." I took the card from my bag and showed it to her.

"Wow, so sweet. Whoever gave you this sees you more than what is seen superficially." She said after reading what's written on the card. She studied it for a few minutes before giving it back to me.

"Does it look familiar to you? I mean the hearts. I'm sure that I must have seen it before."

"Nope, I haven't seen anything like that. If I did, I would surely remember. I have a very sharp memory remember?" She said confidently.

Sigh...I'm really puzzled. The moment I held it I really thought that it came from Joel, but when he mentioned about that visitor I lost it. I mean who could that guy be.

"...and the guy who left this outside my door Kat, who could it be?" I sounded so frustrated. I can't figure out who that guy is and why is he giving me flowers...

"May be one of your admirers...a student admirer perhaps...or better yet, a stalker! Yes that's it, he must be your stalker!" She exclaimed convincingly.

"But who would stalk me? I'm not a some kind of a celebrity. I was never popular you know that." I whined looking so confused. The hearts are really familiar, if only I can remember where I've seen it.

"C'mon gurl, don't underestimate yourself. Look at you... You're young and beautiful. Very fit and attractive. The ordinary you is gone. You have transformed into a beautiful swan." She said after giving me a head to toe glance.

"So you mean to say that I used to be an ugly duckling?" I rolled my eyes at her. I can't believe how she compared me to a duck. But I have to admit that I like the swan part. Hahaha.

"Don't be ridiculous Ella, you perfectly know what I mean. If you don't want to be likened to a swan, what about a butterfly. You're like a caterpillar in highschool then in college you went inside the cocoon and now you've become a beautiful butterfly. How's that?" She laughed at what she said. I only smirked trying to keep myself from laughing out loud.

"Duh! Whatever...as if being a swan or a butterfly would make a difference." I murmured thinking about that incident with Allen. Will he pursue me now that I look different? I mean good different physically. I'm still short since I can't do anything about it, but my sense of style has changed including my hair and face. Body wise too since I'm not on the skinny side back in high school. But now gone were my extra flesh, baby fats they call it. It's really through hard work and discipline. I visit the gym regularly and eat healthy. My hair is salon cared while my skin is spa pampered. That's why people from high school would really say that I've looked different.

{Hello lovelies,
Here's a new update I hope you'll like it. Show me some love with your votes and comments. Thanks mucho!! 😘😍}

XOXO
PretTiLay 👸