Chapter 21

*Chase's POV*
I woke up part way through the night. Again. The pups were asleep and so was Skye. They were so quiet. I looked at them; Skye cuddled up with Shyla, Cassie, Maggie, Xena and Trigger. I smiled at them.
Boy am I lucky.
My smile however faded.
Can I be a good enough father?
I quietly and carefully hopped out of bed and padded across the room, passing a snoring Blue. I stopped and nuzzled him before leaving our room and heading down the hall and scratching on Lexi's door. The girl opened it and I jumped onto her bed. She closed the door and sat beside me.
"What's up?" She asked, smoothing my fur down.
"Just...I've been thinking."
"What about?"
"Can I be a good dad to the pups?" Lexi lay on her stomach next to me and rested her head on her hands so we were eye level.
"What's brought this on?" She asked, still petting my back.
"I...I dunno I guess I'm just doubting myself."
"Well don't. Chase look at Blue and what do you see?"
"A hyper little pup who's happy, loves everyone he meets, is polite and easily learns from his mistakes."
"You know what I see? A hyper little pup who's happy, loves everyone he meets, is polite and easily learns from his mistakes just like his father raised him. Chase, you'll be an absolutely brilliant father to them. I know you will." She nuzzled me like a dog would, making me laugh and nuzzle back. Despite her words I still wasn't convinced. She looked at me and sighed.
"Talk to Marshall in the morning okay?"
"I will, thanks Mum." Me and Rocky often called Lexi mum now. It was strange but we kinda liked it, and the others didn't seem to care. I licked her cheek and padded back to bed.

As I walked past Rocky and Zuma's room, I heard the usual sounds that could be heard from them. Rocky really had to not only be less hypocritical about the bedroom noise from the rest of us but had to fix his god damn headboard. I decided to risk it and call him via his tag.
"Rocky seriously fix your headboard already!" I hissed.
"Y-y-Yeah I'll do it t-tomorrow. Oh god Zuma!" He panted. I seriously regretted my decision.
"And you tell us to be quiet. Seriously Zuma gag him if you have to!"
"Ya think I haven't twied?!" Ew! Wait... since when is Zuma dominate?
I hadn't realised that I still had my tag turned on
"Oh my god Wocky you'we so-" I quickly shut off my tag and tried to suppress the bile that was rising in my throat.
That is not an image I want in my head!

Just as I was about to open the door to mine and Skye's room, my ears perked up at someone's voice. It was coming from Marshall and Everest's room. I silently made my way over and peeked through their open door. My eyes landed on Marshall who was stood next to Aiyana's bed. It was their first night in their own beds and by the looks of it, the pup got scared. My best friend had his head laying next to his daughter's and was softly singing her back to sleep. The fluffy pup closed her bright blue eyes and yawned. Marshall smiled down at her and was about to go back to bed but as he looked up, he saw me at the door. He walked over to me and closed the door so we were stood in the hall.
"Come on," he nodded towards the kitchen. "Let's talk."