Chapter 8: Family Dinner

__________________________
First find your family. Second, love them hard.•
__________________________

I heard rather than saw Mrs. Pots coming into the house, which made me pause my slicing of the tomatoes. Which was good considering now I'm getting an earful.

"How could you not tell me you were a wolf?!" Her arms crossing over her chest as she scowls at me.

"Mrs. Pots I-" I try only to be interrupted again.

"No! I gave you plenty of opportunities to say 'hey! I'm a wolf!' But no, you had to keep it to yourself." As she continues to ramble I set the knife down completely, bracing myself against the counter. I can't decide whether or not to laugh or roll my eyes. Now I wait, patiently tapping my fingers lightly until finally, finally, she takes a minute to catch her breath.

"Finished?" I ask tilting my head and raising my eyebrows. I can hear snickers coming from the other room due to stupid werewolf senses. I focus back on Mrs. Pots as she nods her face stuck in a frown. "Look, I had only just met you, I wasn't just gonna blurt to a human, who I assumed had no clue about my species, that 'Surprise! I'm a werewolf. You know? Those mythical creatures that aren't supposed to exist?'" I'm using sarcasm, due to me really not wanting to have to tell her that I ended up in a psychiatric ward for telling my old foster parents.

"Well, once you figured out about Nightcresent you should've known! All werewolves know these snobby bastards!" She whisper yells.

"Heard that!" Shouts Rick, who is quickly shushed by the eavesdropping group.

"Mrs. Pots, even if I had known about the Nightcresent family, you knowing that they're secretive and creepy wouldn't have given me enough incentive to tell you." I say trying to reason with her. She opens and closes her mouth before giving up and pouting.

"I still don't like that you didn't tell me. I'm supposed to take care of you, and it's kinda hard when you keep huge secrets from me." She throws her hands up in the air. Man she has more energy than any other old woman usually would have.

"It's one secret! A secret I keep from everyone!" I argue back, finally rolling my eyes.

"Oh don't you dare roll your eyes at me little missy!" She says wagging her finger at me. "And how did these hooligans find out before me?" She says lifting her eyebrow. I almost laugh, instead I cover my face with my hands letting out huffs of air.

"They can smell me," I say raising my head back up to look at her, throwing my hair back over my head. When she opens her mouth to argue some more I throw my hands up in the air. "Nope! I'm out! Someone else come deal with her!" I say half laughing.

"Mom," comes a sweat voice from the living room. In walks who I assume to be Makenna; her stomach slightly swollen. "Hi, you're Enania right?" She asks grabbing my hands, her smile bright and white teeth flashing.

"Uh, yeah. And your Makenna?" I ask not completely sure even if she said mom.

"Sure am. You can call me Mak though." Her brown eyes, darker then my golden brown, shine happily as she looks to her mother. "Sorry about her. She's not a big fan of secrets; you see I kept all of this hidden from her for two years." She winces looking over my shoulder again. "Yeah, ever since then she doesn't tolerate secrets." Her smile reappearing, she squeezes my hands. "I'll talk to her. But you can go meet my husband, and the Beta Male and Beta Female." Mak then steps around me, her now unoccupied hands go to cradle her belly.

I step into the hallway and around the corner into the living room looking at all the faces red from holding their laughter in. "Whatever you do, do not go in there." Chuckles tumble out of everyone's mouth except for Tommy who looks mortified.