t w e l e v e

// christmas of love //

       i woke up at a grueling time, way earlier than usual to start working on my cookies. i hear shuffling before a voice spoke, "jiejie, what are you doing up this early?"

       "zao, mama. i'm making my cookies." i huffed as i couldn't find the ingredient i was looking for.

       a small smile appears on her face as she ties her robe. "here, i'll help. what are you looking for?"

      "the vanilla extract. it's not in the cabinet where it usually is."

       "oh, i left it under the rack the other night when i made those cupcakes for work." she says as she reaches over and hands me the small bottle.

"thank you," i reply before stirring it in with the rest.

"so what got you up to do this?" she asks as she leans against the island, watching me finish stirring.

i avoid making eye contact as i look for something to cover the dough. "it's christmas and i haven't made my cookies like i usually do. so i'm doing it now."

"here, i got it." my mom says as she already has it covered and leaves the dough to chill. "so is that all?"

"yeah. who else would i be making cookies for?" i ask her nonchalantly as i lean on my arm against the counter.

"huh, i didn't say who you were making it for, but come to mention a who—you and shawn have been spending a lot of time together. are you two together now?"

i pursed my lips, debating on answering that. ultimately sighing as i replied in confirmation, "yeah. we just got together like the other night."

      my mom begins smiling enthusiastically before replying in chinese while hugging me tightly, "ah, i know! yuqi told me yesterday. i wanted to hear it from you. i'm so happy for you, jiejie."

"cam and her big mouth," i mumbled. "i was gonna tell you eventually."

"i'm sure you were, jiejie. now, come on, you can tell me all about you two while making baozi."

*   *   *

       by the time my mom and i began steaming the buns, my dad and cam were up to open presents which lasted an easy five minutes. we spent the rest of the morning watching a christmas movie as the cookies baked.

IMESSAGE
aaliyah » best mendes
millie » 2nd fav chen

2nd fav chen
hey r u guys still home

best mendes
YEAH
WHY R U PLANNIG SOMETHING

2nd fav chen
im making my cookies <333
when r u guys leaving

best mendes
WOOOOOOO I LOVE U I CANT WAIT
& uhhh like around 2 or so
i think

2nd fav chen
oof okay i'll try to hurry
merry christmas btw my favorite !!!!
MUAH

best mendes
HEHE MERRY CHRISTMAS MILLS
MUAH 💕💘💖💖💗💗💓💞💞💝