Chapter Twenty-One

"Three," she whispered breathlessly. She looked impossibly different from what I knew her as, and yet she was exactly the same. My droplet, my star, my Water.
"You... what happened?" I gasped. I was frozen in place, unable to move towards her. I couldn't comprehend all of this insanity at once.
"This is my real form. I wasn't always a Ghoul..."
Water trailed off, glancing away. I finally ran forward and attempted to rip the chains off of her arms. I found myself looking into her yellow eyes, however.
"What were you before you were a Ghoul?"
Water's lips tightened.
"An angel."
My eyes widened. The Ghouls were angels?
"Lucifer pulled us from Heaven. When he rebelled, he needed an army. So he took the ones he wanted. Most of us went quietly. The ones who didn't found a way to enjoy it, because the alternative was so much worse. We came to forget Heaven after a while. But only recently did I realize that he killed us and took our souls. He wanted something he could control. I don't mind it. It just feels strange."
I looked at her throat. The wound was deep, blood seeping out as if she were still dying. She didn't resent Lucifer. She was confused.
I spotted a key hanging on the wall near the doorway. I quickly grabbed it and unlocked the chains on Water's extremities. She stumbled, nearly falling. I caught her and looked at her face, the same beautiful face I'd always known. It was different, but she was the same.
"I can get us out of here, but Imperator will not be happy when we get back," she said. Water was breathless. I was too.
"How?" I whispered. Water took a step back. And then, suddenly, two massive black and feathery wings spread out behind her.
"Flying. But it's more like teleportation."
I stared in awe at the beautiful wings. They were almost angelic. It was quite fitting.
"She won't let us go easily," Water whispered, taking my hands in hers.
"I know," I sighed. "But we need to end this."
She nodded. "Ready?"
I closed my eyes.
"Ready."