Chapter 4

DISCLAIMER: All characters and specific locations are entirely fictional and have been likened to real people for the benefit of the reader. All rights belong to SteelLeaf and QueenieGreen. 

Dorm C is an architectural wonder - I think - however, as an amateur appreciator of architectural feats, I may have a slightly unimpressive experience of grading the design of buildings

Dorm C is an architectural wonder - I think - however, as an amateur appreciator of architectural feats, I may have a slightly unimpressive experience of grading the design of buildings. It's made from red brick, with large, industrial sized windows, which I imagine are perfect for letting loads of study-helpful light into the rooms, as well as making the seem bigger than they are.The building is tall, yet still dwarfed by some of the surrounding trees, so it appears to be under control, yet still impressive. Three steps lead up to a large wooden door, which Van remarked as oak - or something like that - saying that they were thick and heavy, perfect or a vintage and untouched feel, although I doubt that Lyrian College cares too much about the aesthetics of their campus. The inside was bright and modern, totally different to its exterior, making it seem really homely and spacious; there were two large potted plants by the staircase that lead up to the higher rooms and low hanging lights along the pristine corridors.

All I can think is how long will this sharp look last.

"What floor are you on, sweetie?" Vanessa asks, looking at her wristwatch, suddenly serious.

"Um, the third," I say slowly, cautious about her sudden mood change.

"Okay, then" she says, resting one hand on the banister and starting up the carpeted staircase, "Let's get you settled in."

I remember something as I climb the stairs behind Auntie Van; 'I'll be there in forty minutes". She'd been talking to someone on the phone earlier this morning, and now half an hour later, she had somewhere to be in ten minutes.

"You don't have to stay if there's somewhere you need to be," I say at the second landing, offering Van the chance at an early escape.

"What?" She asks, taking a few long breaths from the effort of climbing the stairs, "Oh, no honey, I'm not going anywhere until we've unpacked that case of yours." She smiles, trying to sound convincing, but I know its untrue when she looks at her watch again at the third floor landing.