Chapter 14

Dedicated to anyone who has ever smiled before.

Chapter 14 

Ashlynn POV

Wisps of what felt like cool air slowly wrapped around me and tightened, cocooning me in what felt like my own little calm shell.  There was such peace and calm here.  Nothing was wrong and I felt content.  Absolutely, positively content.

I tried to snuggle deeper into my shell, but I couldn't seem to move.  I wonder why...

I ignored the feeling of unease that was starting to settle over me and pressed myself to feel the same content that I had been feeling just a few seconds before.  I should be feeling content.  There were no worries or fights or complications in this place, nothing like my life.

My life.

Did I want to go back to that life?  My life?  I could stay here.  I could stay here and feel content forever and ever and ever and ever.  Or I could go back to my real life and deal with all my problems and all the other unpleasant complicated situations that revolved around my life.  The obvious choice was definitely staying here, but then why, oh why, was I still pondering over the choice?

Because you want to go back.

A little part in me whispered over and over again.  I didn't know why though.  Here, everything was peaceful and calm, things that anyone would want.  But back in my life, I had a whole pot load of complications flowing out, making my life even more difficult.  Here, I felt content.  Back in my life, I had-

And that's when the realization hit me.

I felt content.  But there was a difference between feeling content, and truly being content.  There was a very, very big difference.

Here, I could pretend that everything really was alright, that everything was okay.  But everything actually wasn't.  Did I want to stay in this place?  A place where everything was a...

Lie?

Is that what I wanted?  To be a coward and hide?  To run away from all my problems?

To forget everything?

Everything that I've worked for?  Fought for?  

Hoped for?

My head was in total turmoil, and thoughts flitted back and forth in my mind like buzzing bumblebees.  

But it didn't matter if I didn't know, or did know.  Because in the end, I would have to choose between the two choices.  It would be my pick.  The question was:

Would I make the right one?

Nick POV

Beep.  

Beep.

I paced restlessly across the white tiled hospital floor, while occasionally glancing at the figure that lay unmoving in the hospital bed.

The rogues and hunters had left after they realized that we easily outnumbered them, though they did cause many injuries.  Luckily, there were no casualties.

Thought next time, we probably wouldn't be so lucky.

"Do you think she'll wake up?" Shay tearfully asked from her spot in a wheelchair right next to Ashlynn.  She was clutching tightly onto Ashlynn's limp hand, and her watery eyes roaming up and down Ashlynn, watching to see if she could find a twitch or slight movement.

I could simply answer Shay's question with something optimistic and enthusiastic, and ease a lot of the worry that was filling up this room, but how would that help?  I would be spouting things when I didn't even know if they were true or not.  And what if in the end, Ashlynn didn't wake up?  That would be horrible, and everyone would feel a lot worse.