Ch. XXII

I had two options:

One-stand there and let Devin Leathers butcher me with the long knife in his hand.

Two-fight back. 

I looked around the small room, completely trapped between the desk behind me and Devin as he stood at the door and his head covered in bandages, grinning at me. I was going to fight back with all I had. I had no choice. No one was around. Everyone was outside unaware that the two of us was still inside of this empty sanitarium and one of them had the intention to kill the other. This fight has been going on long enough, and it was finally going to end tonight. 

Whether I live through it or not.

“What’s the matter, Ari?” Devin’s whisper sounded loud in the quiet room. The alarm had stopped, making it easy to hear your own heart beat in your chest. “Michael isn’t here to save you. Just you and me.”

I move to slowly step to the side, only to see him moving more into the room, trying to block every possibility of me getting out.

Devin looked around the room, seeing all the masks and looked towards me but his eyes weren’t actually on me. He walked closer, causing me to step back. He stood right in front of me and soon he moved a hand to reach for the mask on the desk and picked it up. Examining it. “How tragic would it be that the only person in the world that cares about Michael ends up being killed in his room?” He then looked up at me, smirking before taking the paper mask and tore it down the middle. 

Exhaling shakily, I finally found my voice. “I don’t plan on dying tonight.” I state, before starting to move, only for him to grab my wrist and yank me back hard and push me hard on the bed, causing it to creak loudly. I started to sit up but he shoved me back down and grinned down at me.

“Oh trust me...you will die. But not until after I fuck you in his bed.” He then moved closer and then on top of me. 

So many things moved through my head, feeling him poking the knife against my thigh almost as if he was testing me to fight back. I had spent years of my sister’s husband trying to control me by trying to frighten me. Every night he would come into my room and slide into my bedroom and do whatever he wanted knowing that I was young and frightened, using that to his advantage to keep me quiet. 

But the fear turned into anger.

And the anger only pushed me to the point where I was tired of remaining quiet and put a complete end to my torture. 

For years I have always had people try to control me. Try to use me in so many different ways and grew such a strong hatred for men that it caused me to grow blind. But it wasn’t until I met Michael that I knew that not all men were the same. 

As Devin’s hand traveled up into my shirt, I knew that I had to learn to take control over my body and fight back. No one was here.

It was just Devin and myself. 

“You know very well that will not be very easy.” I state, before moving to bite down on his ear hard. He let out a echoic scream and tried to pull away, but my sharp teeth only pulled even more until they broke the skin and blood slipped from it. I didn’t let go until I felt the knife move up against my arm, and I shoved him away hard.

I pushed myself up to my feet, and darted from the room. As I ran, I looked down at the cut, seeing that the blade had only brushed against it slightly and it wasn’t deep at all. My bare-feet against the cold floor didn’t help hide my whereabouts, since I could hear Devin running behind me. My ponytail fell loose, dropping my hair down my back as I quickly turned down one of the halls.