Ch. IX

The moment I was alone with Mr. Brown, I wanted to leave quickly. I didn’t want to be here especially alone. The way he just sat on his desk and stared at me made my skin crawl. Like he was amused by the fact that I had witnessed something so repulsive. I just kept my distance, crossing my arms across my chest and waited for him to speak because I sure as hell had no idea how to break this silence. 

He licked his lips as he took a piece of gum from his pocket and popped it into his mouth. He started to chew it slowly before flicking the gum wrapper to the side and he looked up at me. “I believe we have something to discuss.”

I arched an eyebrow. “Do we? Why don’t we just shrug this whole thing off?” It sounded good to me. I rather just turn the other cheek and move on from it. But deep down I knew that was easier said than done because he didn’t seem to want to forget it.

“I would, but you see people in this place talk. I can’t have you talking because I could loose my job, and my wife.”

“I won’t talk.”

“I know.” He stood, moving to step towards me. I gulped hard and stepped back, eyeing him closely as I moved to the side so I was next to his desk. “I need to make sure you do keep your mouth shut.”

I narrowed my eyes. “And if I don’t?”

He moved to me and stood right in front of me. I could smell the mint lingering off his breath as he looked down at me. “You don’t want to find out.”

“Are you threatening me, sir?”

Who the hell did this guy think he was?

Threatening someone like this? I have nothing to loose; I could rat him and Miss. Pierce out for having an affair together. He had everything to loose. 

“Look, I don’t want to come off as a jackass-”

“Too late for that one.” 

“-But I’m a well-respected man.” He pushed on. “I can’t have some loony mouthing off.” What did this guy just call me? “Even if they didn’t believe you, I could loose Miss. Pierce.”

“I take it she doesn’t know you’re married?” I looked down at his hand and didn’t see a ring. 

“No, she doesn’t.”

“Men like you are scum.” I started to turn, but he grabbed my arm. I turned quickly with a hateful glare, feeling his grip tightening up greatly. “Let go of me.” I ordered.

“Not until I get my point across.”

“I got your damn point. Now let go.”

He yanked me closer hard, and I winced as his grip was so tight, knowing it would leave a serious bruise. “If you think about mouthing off to anyone-even to that damn pussy Michael, I will make sure your life is a living hell in here.”

“My life is already a living hell in here.” I snapped.

“Fine. How about this? Mouth off, I’ll make sure your friend is the one that suffers.”

“You’re bluffing.”

“I don’t bluff.” He said coldly. “I don’t know what you see in him, but I can make damn sure he suffers.”

I don’t take threats lightly. Even if it’s a bluff it still pisses me off. I slipped a hand behind me, making it slide a little along the desk as my eyes locked on with the man’s gray eyes. “I wasn’t going to say a word to anyone about it, Mr. Brown.” I said with no emotion. “But now? You’ve seriously made a wrong enemy...as for Michael? He can take care of himself. He’s a big boy. He can handle you.” I said as I moved to take the scissors from his desk. “But don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone-” and I meant it. “But I will make you regret it.” I took the scissors, gripping them tightly before stabbing Mr. Brown in the hand that gripped my arm. The closed blades store through his flesh and hit his bone, making the older man cry out in pain as blood poured from his wound. He staggered back, letting go and held his wound.