Ch. V

I woke up in the hospital rooms upstairs with the biggest headache ever. Feeling like I was up drinking all night long, and woke up in the white room with bandages all on my face. I looked over and saw Miss. Pierce was writing on a notepad while sitting in a chair by the large window. I could feel my mouth had gone dry from being out.

“Oh, you’re awake.” Miss. Pierce closed the book and slipped the pen into her breast pocket. “How are you feeling?”

“Like I had my face beaten with a hammer. How long have I been out?”

“Just a day.” She sat her stuff down on the table and she stood, smoothing outs her black pencil skirt and went to the jug of water and poured me a glass. “You really took a beaten.” She held the cup out for me.

I moved to sit up, feeling a sharp pain in the side of my head, making me wince and slowly reached for the cup. “I’ve been through worst...” I muttered, moving to take a sip of the water. “So what happened to him?”

“Devin? Well, you did some damage as well. After you passed out, he also passed out. The men were able to get inside and you were both in pretty bad shape. He’s in another room down the hall. I’m surprised you two didn’t kill one another.”

“What a shame...” I muttered. I would have loved to wake up to the news of how Devin had been dead. “So what happens next?”

“He’s going to be under lock and key for a few weeks.” Miss. Pierce stated as she picked her book up. “As for you.” She pointed the book at me. “You get well and we’ll pick this up again tomorrow.”

I blinked, arching an eyebrow before tilting my head. “You mean I’m not in trouble?”

“Of course not.” Miss. Pierce looked at me with a warm smile that actually made me smile. “You did nothing wrong but defend yourself. As far as I’m concern, you were just a victim.” She licked her lips and turned to go towards the door.

I scratch the back of my hand, looking around the room before speaking quickly. “W-What about Rachel? Where is she?”

“Rachel Berkey?” She turned to look at me head on with a hand reaching for the doorknob. “She had a meltdown the other day during the night. We’ve just been giving her some special care.”

“Is she all right?” I felt my heart race. She seemed fine the last time I saw her.

“She’s fine, don’t worry about her.” Miss. Pierce gripped the doorknob and turned it, opening the door. “Just get some rest. I’ll send the nurse in to check you out.”  Flashing one last smile, she heads out. 

I let out a heavy huff, moving to sit back in the bed and rubbed my temples. 

Two days of doing nothing but my usual schedule. I wasn’t allowed to go outside in fear of it being too much for me. Apparently they thought I would pass out, but I was growing restless. I haven’t spoken to Rachel in days and even though it kills me to admit it, I was actually worried about her. Miss. Pierce wouldn’t give me any other information about her, only to tell me that she was fine. 

It wasn’t good enough. 

But when I was finally able to go outside, I was still beaten up. Busted lip and a little bit of a black eye as well as a band-aid above my left brow. People stared as I walked along the fence, my arms around myself and looked down, trying to use my brown hair to curtain my face from them. I went towards the back of the courtyard and started to sit down until I heard the familiar sound of the fence. I looked over, seeing Michael running his fingers along it to get my attention.