Chapter Ten

I stood outside on the roof with my pistol in hand, smoke coming out from the barrel.  It was not a bad shot, I must say, even though it was not a pleasent thing to kill another human being.  A zombie seemed fine, in a way, yet another human just seemed wrong in every way.  But it did not matter in this case, as the attacker had almost harmed, or even killed, one of my best friends.  Hannah continued to lay down, staring at me as I looked back at her.  A large pain shot up my arm, causing me to drop the gun and grasp my arm in which the wound had been inflicted.  I saw as Hannah quickly jumped up and ran towards me, pulling me into a tight hug.  I was slightly surprised, for I did not see it coming.  She continued to hug me before letting go and taking a few steps back.  "Where's Phil?" She asked me.  "You're welcome," I said in a sarcastic tone.  Hannah stared at me blankly, "Oh, yeah.  Thanks for helping me.  I mean, I could've taken him on by myself," she continued to ramble on about how she could have taken the strange man down.  "He's downstairs.." I said in an annoyed tone, interrupting her mid-sentence.  "Oh.. Ok." She said, rubbing the back of neck awkwardly. "Is he doing alright?  I mean, you just left him down there by himself." Hannah asked me.  I nodded, "He's doing fine.  He woke me up, and I told him I was going to find you.  He was insisting on going, but I didn't think that he would be able to limp all the way up the stairs." "How did you know I was up here?" She asked.  I shrugged, "Just a hunch."  My instincts just told me she would be up here, somehow.  But then again, my mind is different from others, and I consider myself crazy.  Saying that, I looked down and grabbed the firearm off the ground and held it in my left hand, not trying to injure my right arm any further.  After doing so, I looked back at Hannah one more time before turning and walking back towards the door.  I opened it and glanced over my shoulder, to see that Hannah was following me.  I pressed my back against the open door and signaled my hand inside, "Ladies first," I said with a small grin across my face.  She smiled slightly and walked through the door.  Once inside, she quickly turned her head towards me and yelled, "Race you!"  She didn't even give me a chance to respond, as she was already running down the stairs, determined to get to the bottom first.  She took me by surprise, as after I witnessed her running down, I shouted back, "No fair!"  After yelling that, I also ran down the stairs.  I was too far behind to catch up now, as she had a head start.  I was cautious when running down the stairs, trying not to trip and fall face first into the cemented steps.  Finally I made it to the bottom and Hannah was down there, smiling brightly at me, "Hah! I win!" She yelled and clenched her fist in victory.  I smiled back, starting to walk towards the door that led into the patient hallway, "Yeah, only because I let you win."  She shook her head slowly, "As if!"  Ignoring her last words, I opened the door and started to walk down the hallway, and Hannah came over to walk side by side with me.  We walked together in silence, before my mind started to go crazy like it usually did when I was in awkward silences, "So... Cheesecake."  Hannah turned her head towards me and looked at me confused, "What about it?"  I shrugged, "I dunno.. You can eat it, kick it, smother it into faces..." Hannah spoke over me, "That reminds me!  You promised that you would smother me in cheesecake when we meet!"  I pondered about that for a moment.  It was true, I did promise that, although I completely forgot about it.  Trying to act like I knew that, I responded to her with, "I never said when though.."  She smirked at me, "You forgot, didn't you."  I looked back at her and nodded, "Yes, I did." She was going to open her mouth to say something, before she tripped over something that was on the ground.  Using my reflexes, I caught her while she was falling.  She opened one eye and sighed slightly, knowing that she didn't feel the floor.  Chuckling, I decided to do something that I've always wanted to say, "I guess you can say you 'fell for me.'  After saying that, I loosened my grip so she fell onto the floor.  Hannah fell back first onto the tile floor, and eeked as she made contact.  She rubbed the back of her head and glared at me, "Jerk.."  I smiled and bowed, "Thank you, Thank you."  She stuck her tounge at me before getting up fromt he floor and stood in front of me.  "You're mean.." She continued, not looking too happy.  I smiled at her, "Love you, too."  She groaned slightly, rolling her eyes, and turned away, walking towards the double doors that led into the lobby, where Phil was supposedly waiting.  Laughing to myself, I followed behind her.  As I went through the doors, I saw Hannah standing there in the middle of the room.  I stood next to her and looked around the lounge.  I took notice of something that changed that was not there when I left.  "Brendan.." Hannah started, "Where's Phil?" I finished her sentence.  Phil was nowhere to be found.  He was not sitting in the couch, and that's where he was before I left.  I scanned around the room one last time and I noticed a small trail of, what seemed to be, blood going along the floor throught the front door.  That was another thing that I noticed.  The barricade in front of the main enterance that Hannah erected seemed to be open, as if someone bashed through it.  I looked over to Hannah to see that she was very terrified.  I continued to look at the trail of blood and started to walk throught the trail, hopefully finding Phil somewhere.  He wouldn't leave without telling us, and he wouldn't just go ahead and break down the barricade.  Did he turn already?  Was he murdered than dragged away?  Was he kidnapped?  All of the questions flooding my brain just made me more curious as I continued to follow the trail.  I followed it as it ventured off outside of the hospital, where it was pitch black outside, with the sun dissapeared.  Hannah followed closely behind me, the same face of terror upon her face.  It became too dark to see, and I grabbed the small flashlight from my backpack I flashed it near my feet, still following my objective.  As I followed the trail, it continued to follow until it came to the road, where it dissapeared.  There was just a small pool of blood sitting in the same place in the middle of the street.  Hannah and I stared down upon it for a couple of seconds, "Where did it go?" She asked.  I shrugged, my eyes still on the pool, "I don't know.. It's as if he.. Just vanished."  Where was Phil?  Better question was, was he even still alive?