XIX

I groaned when I was roughly pushed up against the wooden wall of the weaponry station. Francois gripping my shirt tightly in front of me as he stares down with slightly angered eyes. The rest of his emotions were hidden.

"You know," Francois whispers close to my ear and I can't help but turn my head to the side.

"How rude." Francois muses before kneeing me in the stomach causing me to splutter and lean forward, gasping for air.

I notice Malakei move a few feet in front of me but Bow holds him back, insisting that he couldn't interfere and that this was between Francois and I. I needed to learn how to pay my debts and keep my promises. I needed to learn my lesson in lying to pirates about money that my father didn't have that could satisfy Francois fully.

"You're smart you know that?" Francois questions as he pushes me back against the wooden wall and I struggle to catch my breath. My hand nursing my injured stomach.

"Or maybe just stupid. Did you honestly think you could trick a pirate?"

"I-I needed your help." I groan out, trying to explain. Francois flares his nostrils at me.

"I should get my fucking whip on you boy. You know what I do to liars on my ship? I feed them to my beauties Flipper and Misk."

Flipper and Misk were Francois' pet sharks. He showed them to Malakei and I the first time when we were assigned to feed them left over fish bits. It was common for the sharks to feast on pirates that stole from Francois. Silverware was a common object stolen, often an object being as simple as a spoon for the pirate to throw a life away. For someone to outright lie to him however for months on end promising him something that he would never get, something like that has never happened before. Certainly not to François.

He punches me in the ribs and I whimper. My body sliding down the wood to the ground but Francois grabs me and pulls me back up, pushing me into the wooden wall. I grunt in pain. If it was anyone who could land a hard punch, it was François. He was merciless.

"I'm sorry." I groan out bringing my hands up to shield myself again but Francois pushes my hands away.

"Sorry's not going to get me my money now is it?"

His knee comes up to crush my balls and I let out a cry of pain. My head falling forward onto Francois' shoulder as he allowed me to clutch at my front. I try to take even breaths at the painful throbbing and abuse my body was receiving.

"Actually..." Francois whispers lowly in my ear. His hand resting on my shoulder as he leans close to whisper.

"I've heard that there's a pretty price on your head boy. Some high up people are looking for you. I'm sure they'd pay greatly for what I had to say."

"Please..." I whisper breathless. Trying to get him to understand. "Don't."

I gasp when Francois pushes me roughly up against the wood again. Only this time I can tell he's seething with me, a vein popped at the side of his temple in frustration.

"I'll do what I fucking like boy. You are in no fucking position to say otherwise."

"You don't understand.." I began to speak, looking up at Francois pleadingly.

"These people..they're not good. A war is here and it's because of them. If they find me, they'll do everything in their power to shut me down and stop us from trying to save whatever is left of Gonora."

"What would they possibly do?" Francois raises an eyebrow.

"I-I don't know." My mouth went dry as I couldn't find the answer for him that he wanted.