7

"These guys, they've been on my tail since 5th grade. It all started at some stupid science fair project- they won and I lost, and I guess they decided that that made them good enough to pick on me."
"And may I ask, what it was they did?"
"I don't know. Some stupid volcano or something. Literally the most typical thing." Keith scoffed. "Anyway. They did some dumb stuff first- tripping me in the hallways, calling out things like, 'Lance got an F in math!'. I didn't let it bother me, though, because I mean, wouldn't they just get bored and leave me alone? Anyway, they kept at it, started pushing me around. Shove against the lockers on Monday, Tuesday it was a throw to the ground, and by Wednesday it was a punch in the gut. I started failing classes because they would hurt me so much, but it was never enough to show. I don't know how I made it through high school, really."
"What about your family?"
"Yeah- so when they started questioning me because of my grades, I would just apologize and work even harder. I didn't want to worry them at all, because I mean, big family right, I didn't want to be extra work for them with so much to do already. " Lance tried to sit, but winced and lay back down. "So I just took it all. I didn't want them to hurt anyone else because of me, so I stopped hanging out with almost all my friends. And see, now their going to come after you." He looked the other way. "That's BS. If they come after me, they're dead." Lance snorted, still not looking at him. "And if they come after you again, I'll knock them into next year." Lance looked back at him, clutching his stomach. Keith's expression hardened at Lance's condition, then softened again when he saw his face. Lance was smiling softly. "Why're you smiling?"
"I mean, I got something out of it, right?" He chuckled softly. "What?"
"I don't know. Better grades. A new friend. I want to shrug, but I feel like my guts will come spilling out." Keith frowned. "I'm going to kill them."
"Don't bother."
"Why?"
"It's not worth the trouble. They'll just come back stronger then ever, right?" Keith shot up.
"No! Do you not see yourself? This is a new level- you can't even walk!"
"But, I mean, I will with time. Just, don't hurt yourself, okay? Don't do anything stupid."
"Right." He sat back down and sighed. "Sorry. Hey, It's almost 7. You rest up, I'll be back tomorrow, okay? To take you back."
"Okay." Lance's eyes dropped, and Keith sighed again, pausing. "Listen, Lance. If you really want, you can stay with me until you're better. So your family doesn't worry." 
"Really?" Lance looked up, grateful tears in his eyes. "Thank you." It came out as a whisper, and Keith could see how much his offer meant to him. "Hey." Lance looked at him. "Lifesaver?" Keith pulled his pack from his pocket and offered one to Lance.  "Yeah. Thanks." He took a blue one and smiled.