ℂℌɑ℘ɫℯɾ 4

"ⅅo you bring humans here often?" Esma asks me, following one step behind.

"No. It's my first time actually. The law is, only when a mistake or an engagement is made, is when you can bring a human to this world. Nothing more." I say, turning the corner to the Headquarters part of the building.

"Engagement?" Esma questions curiously.

"Unless your married or getting engaged to a human, you cannot bring your girlfriend or boyfriend from the human world, to this one. It's for the safety of our secret."

Esma thought for a minute. "What if you get divorced?"

"Rare around here. For Cupid's, it's either 'The One' or its not." I explain as we reach the reception desk where an older cupid is seated. She glances up at us, then frowns.

"Your father is in a meeting right now." The lady says as she types away on her keyboard. "Is it urgent?"

I half smile. "If bringing a human here is a big deal, then yes, it's urgent."

"Reason?" She raises her eyebrows, glancing at Esma.

"Slight mistake. Target turned away at the last moment, right when Esma came into view." I explain to the lady.

"Mhf, well lets hope your father is in a good mood. Take a seat." The lady says, not looking up from the screen.
I make a slight silly face at her. She's always grumpy.

Esma and I take a seat beside the door to my fathers office.

"Your father works in the Headquarters?" She asks quietly, like She suddenly figured out that your voice could do that.

"Yeah. There's a few leaders in the Headquarters. He's one of them." I answer.

"What about your mother?" Esma suddenly asks. I felt a bit uncomfortable telling a stranger about my personal information. Especially when she's a match for someone else. She has no right to know everything about us.

"Maybe you can ask your match all these questions, Esma. But not me." I say, looking down at my feet.

I felt her eyes on me, curiously, trying to figure me out. She took her eyes off me, letting it go.
"What am I doing here anyway?"

I realised I hadn't actually told her. Have I? I had forgotten. Maybe she has to.

"That man you fell in love with, wasn't meant for you."

"That's harsh." She replies.

I glance at her to let me continue.
"His match was right around the corner, I aimed my bow right when she would come, and you did. I hit you. Then I saw the target on my iMatch moving in the other direction. She'd made a quick decision to turn away as soon as I could hit her. And you must have been right there, walking beside her."

Esma frowns and nods, fidgeting with her hands. "So he's really not my match? Then what am I doing here?"

"The desire arrow lasts for 30 days. A month. Until it's power wears off. Only then can I shoot you with a repel arrow for the attraction to go away. And in the meantime, we search for your real match." I watch her face expression change from hearing the last part.

"My real match? There's someone out there for me?" She lightens up.

"Whoever the guy is, he's gonna have a lot of mood swings to deal with. But yes." I say, raising my eyebrows.

"Thanks." Esma says bluntly. "And whoever your match is, will have to deal with your asshole attitude."

I raised my eyebrows again at this. "My attitude? Wow, listen to yourself." I chuckled. "I'm helping you here. I can easily just leave you to find your own way around."

She slightly glares at me. "Touché. Will I get to remember this place after I've found my match?"

I swallow, darting my eyes outside the window. "No. Your memory will be erased."

She sighs. "All this excitement for nothing, Hey?"

I nod, "Yeah."
I couldn't imagine being in her position. Visiting this place for only a month, but in the end, having that taken away. It's rare that theses mistakes happen.

Some Cupid's exit out the door of the Headquarters. Most were men, only a few were women.
The lady at the front desk tapped a yellow button on wall. "Your son would like to see you."
I hear a faint voice allowing me in.

I stand and walk to the door with Esma following behind me.
I enter my Father's office.
Brown patterned walls, silk red curtains are draped beside the window, letting the summer light through. His wooden desk was set in the middle of the room with shelves, books and cabinets around the walls.

He smiles up at me, then glances at Esma.
"Ahh, you never told me about any proposals." He jokes as we take a seat.

I half smile and tilt my head. "God no. She's a handful, father."
Esma silently stamps on my foot.
I smile even more.

"So was your mother." He chuckles.
Then he looks at me and frowns when he realises.
"Only means a mistake is made." My father sighs.

I explain the situation to him from start to finish, slowly and carefully so I don't get too much in trouble.

"I see. This is an accident, son. I don't blame you of course, it was an easy mistake that anyone could have done." My father replied. He fixes his glasses, his old hands typing down every bit of information on his computer.

"Esma Yates." He says glancing at the girl next to me. She shifts in her seat. "In the next 30 days, will you agree to terms of not mentioning our existence to anyone in the human world, no matter what the circumstances?"

"Yes. I promise." Esma replies.

"If you let one thing slip, your memories will be erased as well as the people you tell." My father warns.

"I understand." Esma responds, quieter than before.

"Good." He finishes typing and glances at me. "You can take her to the Cupid Matching Services floor to start her matching process. While that takes place, Esma will need to be delivered back home, keeping her occupied."

I nod in agreement.
Esma turns to me, confused. "Keeping me occupied? What does that mean?"

"Someone has to watch you don't run off to that guy." I smirk. "And that means spending a few hours with you everyday unfortunately."

Esma's eyes widen.
"I have to see you every day, for a month? What have I done to deserve that?"

I shrug. "Beats me. At least you get to come here if you want."

Esma starts with a slight smile, then it fades away into a frown. "What's the point if my memory will be wiped anyway?"

My father speaks. I had forgotten he was still him the room. Even though this is still his office.
"Worth it, for a whole month I reckon." He smiles.

Esma tried to smile back, looking politely at my father. "I guess so."

We exit his office, heading back to the pod transportation unit. Esma quietly walks behind me, looking down. I'm not sure is she's sad about going back home or if she's sad about having this memory gone in a months time.
I assume it was both.

"Okay." I stop, turning to Esma.
"I know, you probably have a job and family in the human world... and it may not make you feel better, but would you like to stay here tonight?" I ask, searching her eyes for emotions and answers.

She half smiles. "I don't have work tomorrow. I live by myself. And even though it would make me miss this place even more, that would be great. Thank you."

"Okay." I nod. Even though I get the satisfaction out of frustrating her, I also like to see her happy.

We turn around to go back to the elevator to level 6. That's where my room is. I know there is a room that is not used next to mine.

I glance at her again.
I get a twisted feeling in my stomach. I realised I haven't eaten today, it must be that.