I've sent you a train ticket. It's good for the rest of the year. I hope you can use it. I'm glad the storm didn't get you too badly in Brookhurst, but it's a shame about all those lost homes.. I heard word from an old buddy of mine about it two days ago. He said he'd seen you around town and you were helping out with the relief. I'm proud of you, Calvin. I really am. I hope to hear from you soon, even if it is to tell me to go jump in a lake for taking all of this time to "come get you."

See ya when I do,

Riley

Calvin placed the letter in his box, then laid back on his bed. It felt good to hear those words from his brother. He missed him, but right now, he was happy in Brookhurst, happier now than he'd ever been. He couldn't leave.

Calvin decided he would write back to Riley and tell him he appreciated the offer, but he was staying home. He'd missed the cleanup mission that morning but still had time for a shower and a stop in town before heading to see Teddi. Teddi. Who was he kidding? She was the only reason he wanted to stay in Brookhurst.

***

On his way through town, Calvin stopped by a flower vendor named Bob and scanned the summer blossoms for something he could buy for her with the change he had in his pocket, eyes glancing several times at the expensive roses, knowing he couldn't afford a stem. Calvin knew Teddi deserved better than what he could give her. Bob gave Calvin a pretty bunch of tiny blue flowers. Fifteen cents a bunch. He said they were called forget-me-nots. He hesitated buying them as they were not as extravagant as he would have liked, but they were pretty, and he wanted to give her something.

He arrived at the Donovans' home not too long afterwards, one hand quivering and tight around the small bouquet, another poised to ring the doorbell.

Teddi's grandfather answered the door.

"Well, well, young man, let me get those a drink of water. I'll bring them up to my granddaughter's room in just a moment for you," he said, ushering Calvin inside, explaining that his wife had accompanied Mrs. Chatfield and her daughter to the train station and ordered him to keep watch over Teddi. The judge chuckled and shook his head. His wife could be very predictable sometimes, so much so that she forgot about her watchdog protection of her granddaughter.

Teddi sat engrossed in one of her favorite novels, Gone with the Wind. Just as Atlanta began to burn, she heard a soft tap on her bedroom door followed by a creak as it opened wider. She smiled as she saw Calvin wearing his flat cap with his thumbs jammed in his pockets. She always marveled at how tall he looked standing in the doorway, about half an inch more so than her grandfather. She brightened at his presence. "I was wondering when you were coming." She grinned, snapping her book closed and laying it at her feet. "I wanted to take you up to see my attic today, but grandmother insists it's still too dusty for me right now."

***

As Calvin pulled up a chair beside her, Teddi's grandfather poured into the room with a short vase filled with the humble but beautiful tiny blue flowers. "Look what this nice young man has brought to cheer you up, young lady. You better tell him thank you." He winked, heading back toward the door. "And you also might want to keep this open." He pushed her door so that it stood completely open, then turned to smile at the teenagers good-naturedly. "I was young once. Remember that." He winked, and before they could say anything, he was gone.

"Is he always like that?"

"Pretty much," said Teddi. "Well, when grandmother's not around."

Calvin laughed.

"Thanks for the flowers," she said, her voice softly cracking.

Placing a hand on her cheek, he brushed her soft skin with the pad of his thumb. "You're welcome."

Teddi blushed and felt brave as she turned to kiss his finger. Doing things like that under her grandparents' roof petrified her, but Calvin smiled, like a warm blanket on a frost-driven night, and she felt protected.

For the next hour or so, they spent time talking just as they had the night before the storm. They bantered a bit, told jokes, and listened to some old records until Teddi, dying down from a fit of uncharacteristic giggles, sighed and broke through their haze of merriment. "You know, my grandmother will be home soon."

"I know," Calvin replied as the smile he wore dissolved.

"She might let you stay," Teddi said, knowing an ice cube would have a better chance at not melting over a blazing fire.

"I don't want to cause trouble."

"Sure you do," she laughed.

A smile tugged at the corner of his lips. "Well, maybe a little."

"I like that you shook things up around here. We needed it."

"Guess I did more damage than that hurricane."

Teddi shrugged. "I wouldn't call it damage."

"Then what would you call it?"

She thought for a moment. What would she call it? "I don't think I could put it into words."

Calvin furrowed his brow. "Sure that's not a cop out, Miss Donovan?"

"I'm sure," she said, finishing it with a wide cat yawn. She placed the back of her hand against her mouth as a second took over. She blinked her teary eyes, trying to get control over her drowsing senses.

"Maybe you should get back in bed," Calvin said, sounding a little concerned.

"I'm fine. I just—" She was cut off by her third mouth-stretching yawn. "Okay, I guess you're right." Teddi pushed herself out of her chair and climbed into bed again. She hated this sickly thing, but she was so tired. "Will you be here tomorrow?" she asked sleepily.

"I'll bring you another flower or two," Calvin said, leaning over her bed to kiss the top of her head just as he had yesterday. "Maybe I'll steal some of the jasmine from Miss Pinchley's flower bed."

Teddi laughed. "Do not do that." Then her expression turned serious. "Really. I know you bought these for me, and I know it's expensive—"

"Shh. Maybe I'll bring you at least one flower everyday until you get better. Well, maybe more than one if I keep buying these mini-flower rejects."

"They're called forget-me-nots, Calvin. And they're not rejects. They're beautiful."

"Well, then case closed. More flowers for you if you like them so much."

"But—"

"No buts. Now rest."

His voice was doing that warm blanket thing again, and she was so tired. "All right." Teddi smiled and closed her eyes contentedly. "See you tomorrow."

Calvin pulled Teddi's bedroom door closed as he backed into the hallway.

"Hello, Mr. Wynne."