The Lighthouse

Calvin didn't have much of a problem sneaking out that night. Lights went out at 9:30. He told Nestor, Tom, and a few of the others about his plans to leave but not, of course, where he was going. They didn't ask too many questions, but he could tell their curiosities were piqued. He would have to think of a good story to tell them, a story that stretched as far from the truth as possible. They agreed to keep watch for him. In exchange, he promised them a few rewards in return—gum and cigarettes, maybe a baseball card or two.

He had to hold back from whistling as he walked through town. Only an old man and his dog spotted him; neither seemed to care. Finally, after about fifteen minutes, he turned down the dark road where he knew he'd find the Chatfield mansion. It seemed fitting that her grandmother chose a woman as vile as Mrs. Chatfield to watch over Teddi. The widow was stiff and sour, the exact opposite of his newfound friend.

Calvin stopped before the home he knew belonged to the widow and her daughter. He looked around for any sign of Teddi but could not find one. He wasn't sure if he was early or late. He didn't carry a watch of any kind. He hoped she hadn't been caught.

Then he saw her, and he froze. She stepped from beneath the shadowy cocoon of the Chatfield villa. Part of her hair was pinned back but most of it fell in loose curls over her shoulders. She wore a light-colored summer dress that matched the fashion of the day, plain perhaps on some girls, but somehow elegant on her. Her face looked apprehensive as she looked around, still oblivious to his presence. Calvin swallowed a couple of times and took a deep breath before whistling to catch her attention.

Teddi's face split into a grin as she spotted him. If Calvin hadn't been so far from her at the moment, he would have sworn he saw her blush. They walked toward each other, meeting on a knoll made of grass beneath an old poplar tree. Calvin's throat constricted. Teddi blinked slowly and smiled softly. At that moment, their judgmental world dropped away.

Teddi cleared her throat and spoke first, "Hi."

"Hi." Calvin remembered where it was they were standing, not a good place to talk in hushed whispers. Before he could say anything, he felt Teddi's hand slipping into his and pulling him toward the dark street.

"Where are we going?" Calvin asked when they'd finally gained enough distance from the Chatfields' and Teddi had let go of his hand. It still tingled from her touch.

"I'm not sure."

"What about the old lighthouse?" he suggested.

"I thought of that, but—"

"But what?"

Teddi shook her head and smiled. "Nothing. Let's go there."

They walked together in silence, hurrying across the concrete sidewalk, their bodies as close to the night's shadows as they could remain. They did not have to go into town because the lighthouse was just down the road, but they had to be safe, just in case. When they reached the small path that led to the strong thin building that sat upon a grass-filled peak, Teddi stopped.

Calvin walked a few paces up the dirt path before noticing Teddi was no longer beside him. He turned around to see her staring up at the building with an odd look on her face. "What's the matter?"

Teddi looked down, and began to laugh.

Calvin was now extremely perplexed. "What's so funny?" he asked, watching her clutch her sides and fight to remain standing.

"I just..." Teddi could not stop her giggles.

"Teddi?" He half wanted to laugh along with her, and half felt a little hurt at the fact she might just be laughing at him for choosing to bring her here.