Tender is the Night

Because Teddi had been out all day shopping with Liza and Laura, she did not receive Calvin's message until half past five.

Meet me in the lobby a half hour early. I have a surprise for you.

After twenty minutes of passing the note from one shaky hand to the other, it was almost completely obliterated. "Lord knows what he's planning."

"For the hundredth time, it's probably dinner before you go," Laura said crossed-legged from the sofa in the center of Teddi's hotel room.

Instead of responding, Teddi returned to pacing in front of the large window that overlooked the park, a window her sister Liza, who was now back in Brooklyn with her family, had gushed over every time she had entered the room. Teddi was contemplating on jumping out of it at the moment. "No, Teddi, suicide isn't the way out of this. All you have to do is send your regrets to the front desk," she muttered to herself.

"Stop worrying," said Laura. "You'll go to the party and have a great time."

"But this is Calvin."

"I know. That's exactly why it's going to be fine. More than fine."

Teddi turned hot eyes on her friend. "Were you in on this scheme?"

"What do you mean, scheme?"

"You and Calvin. You told him I was coming and—"

"Teddi, his brother is here."

"Well, why are they staying at the same hotel? Is Liza in on it too? And grandfather?  He always liked Calvin. Maybe this his way of going behind grandmother. He should have told me.  Don't I get a say in the matter?  Of course not. Everyone always think they know what's best for me. And forget Brookhurst.  That place declared war on me the day I was born. I should just run away to Paris. Oh, wait.  I can't.  It's getting blown up."

Laura laughed.  "You're talking nonsense.  None of this is a scheme.  And as for Brookhurst declaring war on you.  That's a silly."

"Is it?"

"You want to know why I think this is happening?"

"Because I –"

"Because you want it to happen. You know what they say. When there's a will, there's a—"

"Maybe you're right, but I still want to know what he's up to."

Laura gasped and scrambled to her feet as if hot coals had suddenly been lit beneath her sofa cushion. "Heavens! It's almost six!" She started immediately toward the door. "You've got to get ready, and I have to get home."

"You're not going to help me?"

Laura stopped and turned to survey her friend. "Well, let's see." She bit her lip, thinking. "Your hair. You don't need to change much. Maybe swoop more of it up. You've got your dress. It's beautiful. The dark blue definitely suits you. And your make-up. Remember the secret to lip rouge. Red but not too red. Bright but subtle. Look beautiful, yet elegant. It's what my sister likes to say."

"Thanks," Teddi sighed.

"Don't sound so glum. At least you don't have to be subjected to a mother trying to set you up with another one of her friend's off-the-cob sons."

Teddi rolled her eyes good-naturedly at her friend's uncharacteristic use of jazz jive to express herself. "Now who's sounding glum?"

"Trust me. I have good reason."

Teddi chuckled, feeling one or two of the butterflies in her stomach flitter away. "I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast."

"Call me first. I'll be fine if you cancel."