Old Leo - End of Book II

The room never seemed to give her completely what she needed. It had always been her sanctuary, a place for contemplation and solace, but whenever she sought out its fluffy pillows and quiet serenity she was looking to ease some sort of ache or capture some sort of freedom. She knew she would never find it, hiding up inside of an old attic. She knew, as a young woman, that hiding could not solve her problems even if she wasn't ready to face them.

"Theodora?" Her grandmother's voice grew louder as she ascended the staircase. "You have a visitor," she finished the last syllable as she reached the top, slightly out of breath. "These stairs are steep. No wonder I choose never to climb them."

Teddi turned toward the window, studying the view of Brookhurst, trying to keep her tears at bay. "If it's Calvin, you can just tell him to leave."

"Why may I ask?" Her grandmother sat beside her.

Teddi frowned, still staring at the trees dotting the town, some of them lightly sprinkled with buds and tiny leaves, most of them still haunting and bear in remembrance of winter and Teddi's foreboding heart. "He's leaving," she finally said. "He's leaving, and he wasn't even going to tell me. I had to force him to show me that letter." Tears stung her eyes.

"Did you give him a chance to do it on his own?"

Teddi whipped her head around to look pointedly at the old woman. "Why do you care? You never liked him." Teddi snorted. "You should be happy. He'll be out of my life once and for all. Maybe you can throw a party. Get Mrs. Chatfield to host."

"That's enough, Theodora."

"You tried your damnedest to keep us apart, and now..."

Mrs. Donovan heaved a weighted sigh. "I was wrong."

Teddi's nose screwed up. "What?" She blinked at her grandmother in disbelief.

"Anyone can see how much you need him. How much he needs you. Your grandfather knew it." At the mention of her grandfather, along with the reality of having to get through her days without either him or Calvin, tears began flowing freely down Teddi's cheeks as her grandmother went on, reaching out to hold Teddi's hand firmly in her old knotted palm. "Told me so the night before the church jamboree. Made me promise to be nice to the boy. I replied with my usually grumbling, but in the end, I knew he was right. I knew it, but I hated it. But when your grandfather died, I knew he would want you to be happy. I knew that he approved of your choice in love. And I knew he was no longer around to help you defend it. In accepting him, I accept his wishes. Do you understand, Theodora?"

"Yes." Teddi sniffled. "But... How can I let him go?"

"You'll have to."

"But he might not come back."

"That's a possibility."

"I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't come back."

"You'll move on."

Teddi shook her head, as if it, along with her denial and avoidance, would will the situation away. "I can't think about that. I can't think about him leaving. Please, just tell him to go away. I can't talk to him now. Please, grandmother."

"Very well."

*~*

She was filled with sorrow. She thought of her parents, her grandfather, and even her old dog Lula, willing their spirits to comfort her. Calvin. She couldn't take it if she lost him too. She'd lost so much so soon. She was not yet twenty years old and her heart had been jerked around, twisted, and stepped on. The only reason it had not gone completely hollow was because of Calvin. She loved him so much. She was so afraid of being apart from him again. She didn't know how she was supposed to handle it.