Even so, North did apologize every day. I didn't count how many variations of 'I am sorry' he used, sometimes adding 'really' into the mix. But that's just that. He sent me daily messages that said he was sorry. What was I supposed to do with that? How was I supposed to feel about that? Surely he wouldn't think I'd easily forgive him just because of his daily apologies. I'd been there before. People apologized for making fun of me, but they'd do it again especially when they'd think I wouldn't hear of it.

"That I'm sorry for calling you...that." He punctuated the last word with a grimace and a wave of a hand, as if dismissing it. "I didn't know what it meant."

I couldn't help but snort. "Yeah, right. You seemed to enjoy the result of that word though."

"Like I said, I didn't know what it meant, okay? What do I even know about Kapampangan?" he defended. "I wasn't sure if I should call you 'Seven' like what that lady back at the store told me."

The led that had become too long snapped. I shouldn't be affected by the fact that he asked Aching Bey for my name. But damn it, it did. Clearing my throat, I carefully picked up the led and tried to insert it back to the tiny hole by pressing clicker down for a long time.

"So when I saw you again at the lobby," North was saying, "...I didn't know how to call your attention. Brandon was there and he was the only guy I know because he's from the neighborhood. The word came from him, okay? I thought it was your surname, and it's how you call each other here."

My annoyance for him was replaced by an increase in my despise for Brandon. Right. How could I assume North knew how to speak the language we spoke anyway? Lexi did tell me he grew up in Manila. To soften my voice and to remind myself to not give in to the temptation of looking at him, I cleared my throat again. "Why didn't you explain that in your texts then?"

It was a slip of tongue. Even when I wasn't facing him, I knew he was grinning. I could hear it in his voice. "I thought you didn't read my messages?"

What an insufferable guy he was. North and his easy confidence. "I lied," I shrugged nonchalantly and cast him a sideway glance. "So, why didn't you?"

"You weren't responsive. So why would I explain myself when I wasn't sure you were getting my messages? What if I was texting the wrong person?"

I chuckled but covered it up with a little cough. He wasn't going to charm me with his boyish grin. I won't allow it. "Fine. So, what now?"

"I don't know. I guess..." he trailed off before he extended his fist to me. "Friends?"

Besides Lexi, I didn't have anyone from school I could consider as a real friend. The others had only stuck with me because they liked my brother who wasn't exactly the Mr. Congeniality type. He broke hearts more than he made baskets in a game. When he graduated, those who once tried to befriend me to get to my brother stopped talking to me, which was really not a big deal anyway. Apart from Lexi, nobody else came up to me and offered friendship. And now this guy was telling me he wanted to be friends.

Considering what he did? "I don't think so," I said, blandly.

He let out a short laugh and for once, I turned to him with an eyebrow raised. To my surprise, he looked amused rather than annoyed. "I can't believe you're playing hard-to-get for friendship," he chuckled.

His words were offensive and I wanted to lash out on him. But I had been called out when a teacher saw me flashing the dirty finger back during the first day. How easily could he make my blood boil was beyond me.

"No. I'm just picky," I muttered. "If you're thinking I'm one of those who becomes chummy with just about anyone at school, I'm sorry, but no. 'Friend' is a label I give to selected people."