...want... (In Editing)

"My siblings are important to me because I have experienced what life is like without them."

Cason

When I was eight years old, the social workers gave up on finding us a house together. They sent me to live with young family with a baby. I don't know what Chloe's foster family, we never talked about it. In those two years we saw each other once a month.

It was the worst home I was ever in. But they didn't treat me badly, but I missed my sister. For the longest time she was my only family. When you're missing a part of your family it's like a piece of you is gone.
___

As soon as Zoe finishes speaking, the Judge is moving on, to Mr. Whitman he says, "Name and your relationship with Miss Whitman is?"

"Alex Whitman. I'm her father," he says quickly. I can't help but wince.

"And you?" The Judge gestured to Mom and Dad.

"Alanna and Bridger Bradley. We're her foster parents," Dad says, "We signed adoption papers two weeks ago."

The judge sighs, "Opening statements," he grumbles, "Mr. and Mrs. Bradley."

"We fostered Zoe for almost a year. And we're beginning the adoption process. Your Honor, Zoe hadn't spoken with her father since she was seven. We feel she belongs with us as long as that what she wants. And she does want to be with us..."

"Miss Whitman will have time to speak later," the Judge interrupts.

"I apologize, your honor. To conclude we love Zoe and would like for her to come home."

"Very well. Mr. Whitman?"

"Yes. Eight years ago I was unable to care for Zoe. My wife had just died and I wanted her to have a better life than I could at that time give her." I slump down in my seat. He continues, "Now I feel that I am prepared to care for her, because she is my daughter."

Chloe jabs her elbow into my sit and I sit up straight. The judge is looking in our direction, "Mrs. and Mr. Bradley how many children do you have?"

Mom says, "Six, sir, including Zoe."

"Right, and how exactly do you care for all these children? Money wise, I mean."

"Well my husband is a very successful lawyer."

"I see, and what is it you do?"

"Oh I'm a teacher and a writer."

And your saying that between the two of you, you can support a family of eight?" His tone of voice makes me nervous, I don't think this is going well.

"Definitely," replies Mom.

"Okay, well, what about you sir?" The Judge turn his attention to Mr. Whitman. Feeling that I can now look in that direction I catch Zoe's eye and smile at her encouragingly. She smiles back but I can see how nervous he is.

Mr. Whitman stands before he answers, "I am currently between jobs at the moment." I choke back a laugh, that should tip the scale to our side.

But the judge doesn't seem fazed, "What work do you usually do?"

"I'm an engineer, I work with electric and plumbing."

"All right, moving on."

Chloe nudges me again, "Did it seem like he wasn't as hard on Mr. Whitman as on Mom?" She whispers in my ear.

"Yeah. Don't worry I'm sure we're imagining things." But I'm not entirely sure that's true.