Home Sweet Home? (Edited)

The picture above is of Zoe

"All kids need is a little help,
a little hope,
and somebody who believes in them."

Zoe

This time, Mrs. Anderson is smiling when she hangs up the phone. "I found a placement for you!" she declares.

All I can do is stare at her. It takes me a minute to speak, "With a foster family, not a group home?" I manage.

"With a foster family." She confirms, and I despise the pity I can see in her eyes. I don't need her sympathy; I'm doing just fine. "It's with the Bradley's," she says, "I think you're really going to like it there. Mr. and Mrs. Bradley are really nice, and their family is wonderful. I've known them for years."

I bite back a sarcastic comment about her over excitement, as I wonder, "How long do I get to stay?"

I only realize I said that out loud when Mrs. Anderson responds, "I don't know, Zoe. The Bradley's have been a foster family with us for ten years, and in that time, they have adopted three children. Who knows, maybe you'll get adopted."

I stare at her, even without registering that last comment, I'd be overwhelmed; a family wants me.

Mrs. Anderson starts telling me about the Bradley's, but I barley hear her I'm so focused on battling with my excitement. Don't get your hopes up; I think to myself.

"Mrs. Bradley is a teacher and Mr. Bradley is a lawyer. They live in a beautiful house on a lake and..." Mrs. Anderson stops, "Here we are," she announces.

I gasp as she pulls into a driveway leading to a big gray house with flowers in the yard, and I even catch a glimpse of the lake sitting right behind the house. The whole place gives of the air of a happiness and love.

I grab my large black trash bag, which seems so out of pace in these surroundings, out of the trunk and lug it up the walkway to the front door. My smile is tentative as Mrs. Anderson knocks on the door.

The door swings open, revealing a tall woman with a bright smile. A little girl clings to one of her hands. The woman waves her free hand in greeting, "Hello, I'm Alanna Bradley! You must be Zoe! It's so lovely to meet you!"

I can't help but smile at her obvious joy and excitement. No one's has ever seemed so excited to meet me. I shake her hand, "Hi," I say softly.

Her smile is still just as wide as she steps back to let us inside. I look around at the large entrance way. I see three older kids standing in the background, one girl and two boys. As well as another little girl, identical to the first, who has appeared next to Mrs. Bradley. The walls around my heart slam down; this is a picture perfect, happy family; there's no room for me here.

"You can put your stuff down over here," Mrs. Bradley says, pointing to a bench by the front door. Quickly I set down the heavy bag.

I follow everyone into a large family room with a wall of glass doors overlooking the lake. They motion for me to sit down on the couch and fill in around me. I'm surrounded, and it's almost like I can feel the weight of all these people pressing down on my lungs. I squirm in my seat as I attempt to focus on what Mrs. Bradley is saying.

"Well, we might as well start introductions, with this many people they take forever," she laughs, "This is Payton," she points at the little girl on her left. "That's Hannah," the other little girl waves at me, "I promise you'll get the hang of telling them apart."

I offer her a forced smile.

The older of the two boys speaks up, "I'm Cason"

"I'm Chloe," says the girl.

"And I'm Tyler," say the other boy.

I glance at Mrs. Anderson desperately, and she must see that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed because she speaks up, "I really do have to get going," she shoots a look at Mrs. Bradley, who nods at her, and adds, "Zoe, walk me to the door?" I jump up as if grabbing a life line and follow her to the door. "You going to be okay?" She asks softly.

I nod quickly, "Yeah," I breath out.

She reaches out and touches my shoulder, "This is a fresh start for you, Zoe. The chance you've been waiting for. Don't waste it."

I know her words are meant to sound comforting but the only thing they do is leave me with sick feeling in my stomach.