A Happy Ending (In Editing)

"If there is a cause worth fighting for,
it's this, children belong in families."

Zoe

I'm in my room doing my hair; we are leaving for the freshman graduation ceremony in an hour. When I see the whole family standing in my doorway, I turn around slowly and smile at them.

Alanna walks over to me and puts a hand on my shoulder, "We have something we would like to ask you," she says.

I feel a lump form in my throat but I push it down, nothing's wrong, they all look too happy.

Alanna pulls me over to the bed and everyone gathers around.

"You have been here for over a year now," she says, "And we all love you very much, we couldn't imagine our lives without you."

I nod, but I can't speak.

"So we wanted to know if you would like to be adopted."

I think she just asked me if I wanted to be adopted but I can't be sure, I could be dreaming. Tears fill my eyes as I look around at the family I have surrounding me.

I open my mouth and gasp, "Yes,"

The twins clap and suddenly I'm in the center of a hug.

And surrounded by my family I feel warm and safe, like nothing could go wrong ever again. Like maybe I, Zoe Whitman, might finally get my very own happy ending.