I laughed. “How about some cereal?”

“What’s wrong with beer? It’s full of protein, a great way to start your day. Anyway, I don’t have cereal.”

“You what?”

Alex shrugged. “Sorry. I’m just not a cereal person.” Seeing my outraged face, he decided to go into more detail. “I just thinks it overrated. Who wants some half-assed bowl of grains, sugar and milk for breakfast? It should be something hearty!”

I stared at him in disbelief.

“What?”

“Nothing, just...” I smiled, “You’re so passionate about the randomest things.”

“...Oh.”

“In a good way!” I said quickly, “I think it’s adorable.”

Alex blushed. I giggled.

“So, I’ll make you an omelette?”

“Hmm, do eggs have as much protein as beer?” I asked seriously.

“I don’t know,” Alex said thoughtfully, “Just to be sure, I’ll add some.”

“Good idea.”

I liked having breakfast with Alex. I liked how he set the knife and fork down on the wrong side, and how his huge ice-cubes made the orange juice spill over the side of the glass. The things he did perfectly too; the omelette that was made to the standard of a five star chef, the commentary he made while he was cooking. How I could still feel slightly nervous being around him, but at the same time... his eyes felt like coming home.

“Anyway,” Alex said, when the omelette had vanished from his plate. “I wanted to talk to you about tour.”

“Right,” I nodded, gulping down the remains of my breakfast. “That was delicious by the way.”

“Better than cereal?”

I frowned. “You know... This is the second time you’ve been right this morning, and it’s really starting to make me uncomfortable.”

Alex stuck his tongue out. “I plan to make you as uncomfortable as possible. Now, can you please stop changing the subject?”

“Sorry.” I bit my lip. “I’m not doing it on purpose.”

“Regardless,” Alex said, “there’s a tour in two weeks.”

“Two weeks?”

He shrugged. “Two and a bit. So we need to talk about that; do you want to come, or for us to cancel it, or to go stay with someone else? If you’d feel more comfortable, you can back to stay with Aisling in the foster centre.”

I paused. “How long is the tour.”

“Three weeks. Up and down the west coast.”

“Okay...” I paused. “I’d... I think I’d like to go with you. I mean, if that’s okay, if it’s not too much trouble.”

Alex’s face split into a grin. “I was hoping you’d say that! Of course you’re not too much trouble. I want you to be with me, and the guys all love you. I mean, you haven’t met the crew yet, but they’ll love you too, don’t worry.”

I smiled. “Are you sure?”

“Super-duper sure.” He winked. “Now, if you’re all done, go get your coat. We have things to do today.”

“I’m all done, but let me clear the table?”

“No, no, I’ll do it,” He said, snatching the plate from in front of me.