Part 7 - January 4th/5th 1969

Start from the beginning

"I..I'm .." Tears rolled down her cheeks. "I'm sorry. I hurt!"

Paul could see that she was trembling and had gone terribly pale. He looked around and saw a taxi. He waved it down. After helping her into the car he asked the driver to move away from the reporters in order to give poor Lucy more privacy.

"How are you feeling now Lucy my love?" He saw she was nursing her right hand. "Your hand?"

"It's my wrist." She whispered, wincing in pain. "I landed on it awkwardly. It hurts like hell!"

"Can you take us to the nearest Accident and Emergency please." said Paul to the taxi driver. "As quick as you can!"

It was over three hours later that Paul escorted an exhausted Lucy to a taxi home from the hospital. Her fractured wrist, now in a cast, was still causing her a lot of pain despite having been given pain relief. As the taxi arrived at Cavendish Ave Paul realized that Lucy had fallen asleep. He shook her gently.

"Lucy darling. We're home."

He helped her out of the car and into the house. She was shivering violently, a reaction to the chilly January morning and the shock. Sitting her down in front of the living room fire, he ran upstairs and collected a clean pair of his pyjamas and his dressing gown.

She looked at him, puzzled. "What are they for?"

"I thought you could put these on. You'd be a lot warmer in them."

She nodded and stood up slowly, shaking her coat off her shoulders. She stopped and looked at him. "Can you unzip my dress please Paul?"

She turned her back to him. Gently lifting her hair and fighting the strong urge to kiss her neck, he slid the zip down and Lucy slipped her dress from her good arm. "I can't do the other side."

Paul took the shoulder of her dress and gently removed it.

"I never imagined being undressed by you for the first time would be like this Paul." said Lucy with a giggle, "I'm not exactly oozing sex appeal with my bloody knees and bandaged wrist, am I?"

"Oh I don't know," said Paul, kissing her softly. "I think you're gorgeous no matter what. Admittedly, I didn't imagine undressing you would be like this either but I have still rather enjoyed it!" He laughed. "Anyway, I think its bedtime. We're both exhausted."

"But I should go home," said Lucy. "Dad will be worried."

"Lucy love, you're falling asleep on your feet and you're frozen. Plus it's nearly 4am. At least if you stay I can get you your pain killers and things. Well?"

Seeing sense in what Paul was saying she followed him upstairs, every step adding to her tiredness.

"You can either sleep with me love," offered Paul, "Or use the guest room. I don't mind. It's up to you."

Lucy leaned against him, shivering. "I think I'll sleep with you. Then I can take all your body heat. I'm so cold!"

Paul pulled the covers back and waited as Lucy climbed awkwardly in to the bed. Her knees were stiff and painful, her wrist still aching. He handed her a glass of water and two tablets which she took quickly.

"Now settle down." He soothed, pulling the cover over her then getting into the bed on the other side. He carefully moved up close to Lucy and then wrapped his arms around her. "How's that?" He whispered, "Comfy?"

Lucy nodded in his arms and muttered something, almost asleep already. Paul waited until her breathing slowed and she stopped shivering. Then, happy that Lucy was finally asleep, he closed his own eyes, relishing being able to spend the night with the woman he loved in his arms.