Part 10

Here I was. Standing outside of my room door, clothed in a dress that fell just below the knee. Since it was Christmas Eve night and I was feeling festive, the color of the dress was a classic ruby red. With my hair in loose curls and a little makeup adorning my face I nervously tapped my heeled foot. I was trying not to pick at my nails, but I couldn't help it. I was anxious.

What does Carter have planned?

I was about to knock on Carter's door when it opened. Good thing I put on this dress because he was sporting a fit looking tuxedo, much like last night's.

"I'm going to need to blind you, Kitten." I was going to object when he took it upon himself to wrap the blindfold around my eyes. "Carter."

"Yes, Kitten?"

"Where are you taking me?" My heart was beating so fast, I hoped I didn't pass out in front of him. "Carter," I sigh, a light smile on my face. He still hadn't answered me but I could hear him laughing under his breath.

"Patience, kitten." I rolled my eyes, even though I knew he couldn't see me. Habits die hard, I guess.

I feel his body shift from behind me to in front of me before his hand engulfed mine. "Now, since were going down the steps and you're blindfolded I'm going to have to pick you up-"

"No, no, no- Carter!" I giggled wildly as he picked me up bridal style. "This is unnecessary!" I laugh, hitting his chest. I felt the deep rumble in his chest as he let out a hearty laugh. When we reached the bottom of the stairs, he placed me back down, gently. "See, it wasn't that bad." I swatted for him, but I only hit the air. "-And you better not be rolling those eyes of yours."

I rolled my eyes.

He took my hand in his again and we started walking once more. He walked slowly enough for me to feel comfortable while blindfolded. My mind wanted to figure out where we were going, but all I could focus on was his warm hand wrapped around mine. The way his soft fingers felt were heavenly. A few more minutes and we came to a stop, I heard a door opening and I was unblinded.

"Your dinner awaits." I open my eyes to see Richie's younger brother, Junior, holding the door to the grand ballroom ajar. "What is going on?" I smile, looking back at Carter with a confused expression. Junior was dressed in a suit, not smiling as he held the door open for us.

I walked into the ballroom with Carter closely behind. It still looked just as beautiful as last night. The lights still twinkling from the ceiling and the huge tree. There was instrumental Christmas music filling the air and a little table set for two was sitting on the far end of the room, next to the large window. The room looked amazing as the sun set outside and the snow on the ground was still untouched.

"Right this way." Junior spoke with a false posh British accent, I could see him trying not to smile. Carter shook his head, laughing quietly.

As we reached the table, there was a candle lit and an unopened bottle of wine. "Butler William will be right out with your dinner." Junior bowed before walking back towards the main entrance and leaving. "How much did you pay them?" I ask, finally letting out a fit of laughter.

"Too much." Carter says, matching my laughter. "This is so nice, Carter. Thank you." I compliment after the atmosphere soothed a bit.

"I just wanted to give you the night you deserved. Last night wasn't-" He paused, scratching the back of his neck. "You didn't deserve that. Rachael- she's just a jealous ex. I would have never expected that to happen, Katherine. I sincerely apologize." I knew he was serious the moment he called me Katherine instead of Kitty or Kitten.

"I also wanted to apologize for not dancing or talking to you last night. I was so caught up with my dad and other guests, I didn't spend enough time with you." He was still scratching the back of his neck, something I now understood was his nervous tick.

"Carter," I smile, placing my hand on top of his on the table. "None of what your apologizing for is your fault." I squeeze his hand and the other one drops to his lap. "You didn't tell Rachael to dump the wine on me. And yes, even though I wanted nothing more but to dance with you last night, I understand that your future is a little bit more important than that. I would never get in the way of that." He looks up at me, holding my gaze in his own.

"I have never seen a more beautiful woman than you."

It was my turn to display my nervous tick, picking at my nails. "I thought that about you the moment I was introduced to you two days ago."

"Carter, stop." Was it getting hot in here? "I know we just met but I'm so drawn to you." He admits. Making me blush even more. Before he could say any other words, William came prancing towards us with two trays in hand. "You were supposed to have soup like five minutes ago but Junior spilt it on himself so you're just going to enjoy your main dishes." Carter's head falls into his hands as I laugh.

"It looks delicious, William. Thank you." I smile as he winks, pours our wine, and walks away turning the Christmas music up a bit more. "Next time I'll just pay for real caterers." Carter says before praying over the food.

"Are you saying that there will be a next time, Mr. Walker?" I ask after the prayer was over. "Only if you'll have me, Ms. Abrams." Carter winks before stuffing his mouth with turkey.

"Only if I get my dance I've been so patiently waiting for." This time I wink at him before eating.

-

By the time we finished dessert, a nice slice of appetizing pumpkin pie, I'd had three glasses of wine and was feeling better than good. Over the room, I hear my absolute favorite Christmas song play. "Oh Carter! This is my absolute favorite song!" I don't know why, but in my drunken haze, I decided to follow in the steps of Junior and speak with a posh accent.

The Christmas Waltz was an absolute classic. So romantic and serene. It just called to me whenever it played. "Shall we?" Carter held out a hand for me, mirroring my accent. It wasn't very good though. "You're accent is absolutely horrid!" I laughed loudly, rising from my seat and allowing him to escort to onto the dance floor.

I hummed the song as we fell into step and rhythm. Closing my eyes, I let my body relax in his arms. Everything felt so right, so perfect and magical. This was the Christmas I'd imagine all of those years growing up. Where I'm surrounded by snow, family, and my prince charming.

"What are you thinking about?" I open my eyes again to see Carter looking down at me. We were still gliding around the room. "About how happy I am."

A slower song had now began playing and we slowed down our pace. I was getting wine tired but I wasn't going to let that ruin my night. I was enjoying myself was too much. I wrapped my arms around his torso, resting my cheek against his chest as he pulled me in closer.

I felt his fingers under my chin, pulling my face closer to his. Our lips were inches away from each other, I could feel the electricity shooting from our closeness. My breathing had gotten heavier, so had his. I felt the deep breaths as his chest rose and fell. I closed my eyes.

"Look up." Following his instructions, I did, finding a mistletoe dangling over our heads. Before I get the chance to say something witty, his lips claimed mine.

I felt myself smiling into the kiss. I felt Carter doing the same. My fingers tingled as they shot up to the side of his face. Who knew a kiss could feel this good? We break apart, giving each other small kisses before just resting our foreheads against each others.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask, mocking his question from earlier.

"I'm thinking about how happy I am that you decided to come here for Christmas."